Prune and rhubarb wine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having been up the allotment early this morning, I came back with some rhubarb. As I have 10l of straight rhubarb wine underway thought I would try something different.
Here goes
PRUNE AND RHUBARB WINE

2 lb / 900 grams prunes
3 lb / 1,350 grams rhubarb
3 lb / 1,350 grams sugar
Water up to 1 gallon
Yeast nutrient
Wine yeast

METHOD - WHAT TO DO

Cut the rhubarb into small pieces and place in a container with the prunes. Cover with cold water and add one campden tablet. After 24 hours add 1 lb. sugar and stir well to dissolve. Add the yeast nutrient and wine yeast and cover and leave for five days, stirring daily to mash the fruit well. Add the remainder of the sugar, stir well to dissolve and leave for another five days, stirring daily. Strain through a fine sieve and put into a demijohn and fit an airlock to seal the jar.

Store in a warm place and allow the fermentation to work. When fermentation has ceased, rack the wine into a clean jar and place in a cooler environment and leave. When the wine is clear and stable siphon into bottles.
From
http://www.wine-making-guides.com/prune_rhubarb_wine.html

Apart from adding a tsp pectolase I have followed the recipe. Any observations or suggestions of what to do with rhubarb.
Rhubarb and ginger TC?
Cheers

Having been up the allotment early this morning, I came back with some rhubarb. As I have 10l of straight rhubarb wine underway thought I would try something different.
Here goes
PRUNE AND RHUBARB WINE

2 lb / 900 grams prunes
3 lb / 1,350 grams rhubarb
3 lb / 1,350 grams sugar
Water up to 1 gallon
Yeast nutrient
Wine yeast

METHOD - WHAT TO DO

Cut the rhubarb into small pieces and place in a container with the prunes. Cover with cold water and add one campden tablet. After 24 hours add 1 lb. sugar and stir well to dissolve. Add the yeast nutrient and wine yeast and cover and leave for five days, stirring daily to mash the fruit well. Add the remainder of the sugar, stir well to dissolve and leave for another five days, stirring daily. Strain through a fine sieve and put into a demijohn and fit an airlock to seal the jar.

Store in a warm place and allow the fermentation to work. When fermentation has ceased, rack the wine into a clean jar and place in a cooler environment and leave. When the wine is clear and stable siphon into bottles.
From
http://www.wine-making-guides.com/prune_rhubarb_wine.html

Apart from adding a tsp pectolase I have followed the recipe. Any observations or suggestions of what to do with rhubarb.
Rhubarb and ginger TC?
Cheers

Unfortunately this will probably not ferment much, as all prunes are treated with potassium sorbate, either will not start or stop far short of the abv' you have planned.

Cheers Tau,
Checked my packaging and sure enough potassium sorbate present.
The brew is currently mashing away.
Can but give it a try, if it does stall might have to do rhubarb and plum wine instead.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Life has interrupted my brewing life.
Thought i would update this thread seeing another prune thread on the go. Prune and rhubarb wine starded 25/7/17
og 1090 fg 1005 and having sat in seconday dj for 20+ months.
Looks sherry brown in colour and has a definite plum aroma. Certainly clings to the glass.
Taste - tastes plumy but there is such an acid kick from the rhubarb (that I don't get in the rhubarb wine).
For rhubarb wine I use 1.5kg of rhubarb per dn10 and that is fine.
As it stands not drinkable. Don't know if it's something I've done / not done but it's my first candidate for the drain.
Don't know whether to add something to ease the acidity....

I did a rhubarb addition to a Belgian style Saison last year, which went quite well. Quite a nice tart sort of a flavour. Seems to be the sort of thing you are into at the mo?

Well..
Dug out a 2016 red currant wine to try tonight. Just red currants, sugar, pectolase, nutrient and yeast. Has the colour of a sauterne, but with a pinkish hue ( doesn't photograph well). Still on the acid side. Need to learn how to tone down the acid. The fruit was sweet and ripe, but always carries an acid back note. Flavour comes through nice enough. Like the Youngs New World Saison, so maybe add a bit of Rhubarb juice to it

I've found soda water helps with wines that didn't turn out well, a quater of a glass seems to kill most off flavours.

Latest posts

Back