Prune Juice Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been searching far and wide for a reasonable recipe for Prune Juice Wine - to use up a mis-purchase of some cartons.
I can see it's not popular but can anyone share a recipe they have used with reasonable results.
Thinking of using, for a gallon, one litre of prune juice, two litres of apple juice and 500g sugar.
Probably need to use Pectlase to help clearing.

Prune Juice Wine - started this afternoon (yeast activity pending):

1 litre Prune Juice
2 litres Apple juice
(Sugar in juice 320g)
Sugar added 500g
1 tsp Pectolase
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp Tannin
2 tsp Wilko wine yeast
1 tbsp Glycerin post-fermentation for mouthfeel

Was hoping to use at least 1 l red grape juice but trawling round three supermarkets today it seems pure juice is in short supply.
Plenty of juice drinks. No grape juice at all. So I opted for apple. Hope this will work out.
After fermentation I’ll add a tablespoon of glycerin to improve mouthfeel.
Colour is a mid-brown but that might improve/lighten during fermentation and clearing.
Haven't done a WOW type brew for a while so put this together with what I had.
Didn't take an OG reading (lazy?) but should produce something drinkable ....

We normally aim for a total sugar content of 1100g for 13% so it may not be very high % ABV but i have no doubt it will be drinkable.

I did try Prune Wine once, it wasn't my finest hour - but I used tinned prunes and prune juice only. Your recipe sounds much better. I couldn't face drinking mine, but apparently it makes great gravy 😄

Let us know how it goes!

Quick update - it's in the DJ for about a week and a half, it was quite lively to start with but has now settled to a slow steady pace. Temp on average about 18C.
Capture.JPG

Been searching far and wide for a reasonable recipe for Prune Juice Wine - to use up a mis-purchase of some cartons.
I can see it's not popular but can anyone share a recipe they have used with reasonable results.
Thinking of using, for a gallon, one litre of prune juice, two litres of apple juice and 500g sugar.
Probably need to use Pectlase to help clearing.
I made prune wine with 5 litres of prune juice and no other juices for 1 gallon batch came out lovely but made a 18% sweet gallon of pune liqueur style wine with 3kg dried prunes that was much better

A couple of days ago I put in a campden tablet as the yeast was more or less dead, a bubble at five minte intervals ...
Today I racked the gallon off the lees, put in a level teaspoon wine stabiliser and a tablespoon glycerin and put it away to clear.
Having tasted it I'm quite pleased, the apple tartness is quite nice, stronger than the prune taste. Surprisingly strong - didn't take any readings but guess it must be near 15%. No idea whether it will clear much more than shown in the picture but certainly a good drink. And no bowel movements wink...
IMG_0206.jpg

A couple of days ago I put in a campden tablet as the yeast was more or less dead, a bubble at five minte intervals ...
Today I racked the gallon off the lees, put in a level teaspoon wine stabiliser and a tablespoon glycerin and put it away to clear.
Having tasted it I'm quite pleased, the apple tartness is quite nice, stronger than the prune taste. Surprisingly strong - didn't take any readings but guess it must be near 15%. No idea whether it will clear much more than shown in the picture but certainly a good drink. And no bowel movements wink...View attachment 62267
Why do you add a Campden tablet when u think the yeast has finished instead of after the stabiliser etc when you're ready to bottle? Curious

TBH, I've always done it that way. When I started winemaking some 30+ years I just used a CT every time I racked the wine however I often had a hint of sulphite left so then just use a CT to stop all activity first, let it settle and when racking use a dose of stabiliser. It contains sodiummetabisulphite (like the CT) and potassium sorbate which is the preservative and don't use anymore chemicals after. Which seems to work ok, never had a problem with corks popping.

Just wondered because campden tablet on its own doesn't seem to kill anything off for me everything's starts back up again 12 hours after so I feel the step unnecessary and just the stabiliser does the job

Good point and I agree - just using up a stash of CTs, also the Wilko stabiliser contains metabisulphate so separate application not really necessary.
Reminds me of my father who was a beekeeper and treated hive boxes with sulphur to kill any bugs, of course they would come back eventually.

I made this last year with
1 litre Red grape juice
1 litre Apple Juice
1 litre Prune Juice

Turned out great. ABV was nearly 16% I think.

No one who tried it could guess the flavour, but when told, went "Oh yeah" 😂

Latest posts

Back