Prune Juice Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

klaus

Regular.
Reaction score
Been searching far and wide for a reasonable recipe for Prune Juice Wine - to use up a mis-purchase of some cartons.
I can see it's not popular but can anyone share a recipe they have used with reasonable results.
Thinking of using, for a gallon, one litre of prune juice, two litres of apple juice and 500g sugar.
Probably need to use Pectlase to help clearing.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan to me -

Follow the videos here for the method if you havent done this before -

klaus

Regular.
Reaction score
Prune Juice Wine - started this afternoon (yeast activity pending):

1 litre Prune Juice
2 litres Apple juice
(Sugar in juice 320g)
Sugar added 500g
1 tsp Pectolase
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp Tannin
2 tsp Wilko wine yeast
1 tbsp Glycerin post-fermentation for mouthfeel

Was hoping to use at least 1 l red grape juice but trawling round three supermarkets today it seems pure juice is in short supply.
Plenty of juice drinks. No grape juice at all. So I opted for apple. Hope this will work out.
After fermentation I’ll add a tablespoon of glycerin to improve mouthfeel.
Colour is a mid-brown but that might improve/lighten during fermentation and clearing.
Haven't done a WOW type brew for a while so put this together with what I had.
Didn't take an OG reading (lazy?) but should produce something drinkable ....

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We normally aim for a total sugar content of 1100g for 13% so it may not be very high % ABV but i have no doubt it will be drinkable.

Wynott

Regular.
Reaction score
I did try Prune Wine once, it wasn't my finest hour - but I used tinned prunes and prune juice only. Your recipe sounds much better. I couldn't face drinking mine, but apparently it makes great gravy 😄

Let us know how it goes!

klaus

Regular.
Reaction score
Quick update - it's in the DJ for about a week and a half, it was quite lively to start with but has now settled to a slow steady pace. Temp on average about 18C.
Capture.JPG

Bando

Reaction score
Been searching far and wide for a reasonable recipe for Prune Juice Wine - to use up a mis-purchase of some cartons.
I can see it's not popular but can anyone share a recipe they have used with reasonable results.
Thinking of using, for a gallon, one litre of prune juice, two litres of apple juice and 500g sugar.
Probably need to use Pectlase to help clearing.
I made prune wine with 5 litres of prune juice and no other juices for 1 gallon batch came out lovely but made a 18% sweet gallon of pune liqueur style wine with 3kg dried prunes that was much better

klaus

Regular.
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I put in a campden tablet as the yeast was more or less dead, a bubble at five minte intervals ...
Today I racked the gallon off the lees, put in a level teaspoon wine stabiliser and a tablespoon glycerin and put it away to clear.
Having tasted it I'm quite pleased, the apple tartness is quite nice, stronger than the prune taste. Surprisingly strong - didn't take any readings but guess it must be near 15%. No idea whether it will clear much more than shown in the picture but certainly a good drink. And no bowel movements wink...
IMG_0206.jpg

Bando

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I put in a campden tablet as the yeast was more or less dead, a bubble at five minte intervals ...
Today I racked the gallon off the lees, put in a level teaspoon wine stabiliser and a tablespoon glycerin and put it away to clear.
Having tasted it I'm quite pleased, the apple tartness is quite nice, stronger than the prune taste. Surprisingly strong - didn't take any readings but guess it must be near 15%. No idea whether it will clear much more than shown in the picture but certainly a good drink. And no bowel movements wink...View attachment 62267
Why do you add a Campden tablet when u think the yeast has finished instead of after the stabiliser etc when you're ready to bottle? Curious

klaus

Regular.
Reaction score
TBH, I've always done it that way. When I started winemaking some 30+ years I just used a CT every time I racked the wine however I often had a hint of sulphite left so then just use a CT to stop all activity first, let it settle and when racking use a dose of stabiliser. It contains sodiummetabisulphite (like the CT) and potassium sorbate which is the preservative and don't use anymore chemicals after. Which seems to work ok, never had a problem with corks popping.

Bando

Reaction score
Just wondered because campden tablet on its own doesn't seem to kill anything off for me everything's starts back up again 12 hours after so I feel the step unnecessary and just the stabiliser does the job

klaus

Regular.
Reaction score
Good point and I agree - just using up a stash of CTs, also the Wilko stabiliser contains metabisulphate so separate application not really necessary.
Reminds me of my father who was a beekeeper and treated hive boxes with sulphur to kill any bugs, of course they would come back eventually.

Latest posts