pseudo larger yeast compacting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
Come across a problem I have yet to suffer before

I made a fake lager and I used CML US Pale yeast (I know not perhaps the ideal), fermentation went fine trying the beer at bottling time is fine, and I think if I were to draw some out of a bottle its nice..

However the yeast in the bottle hasn't compacted well its a bit loose and I seem to struggle to get the beer to pour without it going in which sadly ruins the flavour.

WHat do we reckon just leave them in the fridge for as long as possible a month or two and see if it packs down solidly?

I may give the Kolsh and a belgian strain a go but I am thinking of giving up CML yeast.. I have only had problems with them I have never had from any other yeast manufacturer

Did you cold crash or lager for any amount of time.
What temperature did you ferment at?

I have used CML US Pale & Real Ale yeast a lot and yes the sediment is usually loose, so if you're not careful pouring, you will get some in your glass. With practice, I can avoid this happening 90% of the time. Where I did struggle was with a pilsner kit, which was so gassy, that it stirred up the yeast on opening and poured cloudy from the first drop.

Fermented at 16-18 cold crashing is tricky but I did 12 for a few days. I don't usually have much trouble doing this even with us05 which isn't a great floccer.

It's carbed well for pilsner. I'll just keep it fridgesimple for a when and see how it goes. Put it down to experience and not use that yeast again

Of the CML yeast, I've used the Real Ale yeast, which I wasnt overly impressed by and the Kolsch yeast which I am. It's great for pseudo lagers fermented at 14C, clean and packs doesnt well enough
I seen you used that. I'll give that a try next time around.. the beer is good it's just the yeast clouds it up and affects it.. hopefully it will glue and little

I do get a little bit of beer that is cloudy at the bottom of a bottle, whether it be 2L or 500ml. Perhaps at this time of year you could pour the dregs (even if 5% - 10%) into a designated bottle to use in slug traps?

Yes, this s a serious suggestion!

I seen you used that. I'll give that a try next time around.. the beer is good it's just the yeast clouds it up and affects it.. hopefully it will glue and little

The Kolsch yeast doesnt cloud up. It's not at sticky as say notty but it stays on the bottom of the bottle when you pour

Latest posts

Back