pub bench seating.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson1984

Regular.
Reaction score
Anyone made a bench seat?

1625216015148.png

wife is pretty decent with a sewing machine. I'm wondering about doing this at the back end of my home pub. I don't want leather though - dog likes to come in and would rather use fabric.

Just wondered if anyone had made anything similar and had any advice.

I don't want leather though - dog likes to come in and would rather use fabric.

Leather/leatherette has the big advantage that it doesn't "catch" dog hairs in the same way that fabric does, so it stays smart. If that's important to you.

I've not done a bench seat but I have reupholstered dining chairs - it was pretty straightforward, just cut the fabric to size, line it up and then attach it with a staple gun. I'm sure there's plenty of advice online on padding etc.

It's on my 'to-do' list once I move house, though I was going to try using a 'no-sew' approach. Basically a staple gun.
Going to use some salvaged plywood and cls for the frame and seat structure.

yeah i'll probably go ply and CLS, i'm not too worried about the frame.

Think I'll go to dunelm or similar, get some padding, and play around with size etc. Either fix that to a bit of ply to allow for staples or get the wife to make covers.

I'm not too fussed about the hairs, he's a lab....we're used to hairs by now!!

I made these, really easy to do and no sewing machine needed.

Foam, glued to some ply. Then lay over some wadding and staple to the ply.
Repreat the process with the final material, I did hospital corner type folds on the ends.
Looks brill! What is the surface on the table - a collage? Thinking of doing a collage on a kitchen table top.

It's clear resin. Stcuk down the pictures with pva, then coated them with a thin watered down coat and once dry for 2 weeks (as resin and moisture does not go well) we covered in clear resin.

Attachments

• IMG-20201221-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20201221-WA0006.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 56
Another option which my folks used to protect the surface of a posh antique table, is to put down photos, postcards etc loose, then a custom-cut piece of toughened glass loose on top, which allows you to change the things on display. Obviously that way isn't waterproof at the edges, you could seal edges if you want, but potentially it's a quicker and less messy option.

Another option which my folks used to protect the surface of a posh antique table, is to put down photos, postcards etc loose, then a custom-cut piece of toughened glass loose on top, which allows you to change the things on display. Obviously that way isn't waterproof at the edges, you could seal edges if you want, but potentially it's a quicker and less messy option.
Resin is definitely messy

In work we make polyester window film. It's used to "bomb proof" windows in shops etc,it's completely clear,has built in UV protection,fade and scratch resistant...I dunno whether you could source any on a retail level but it would cover a table top.

Latest posts

Back