Pub chain Wetherspoon reports record loss

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Urban myth.

When there was no furlough scheme, Martin, not unreasonably, pointed out that if they were closed indefinitely, then they wouldn't be able to pay staff, but if that meant that staff left to take up other opportunities then they would welcome them back with open arms. Twitter / Facebook etc started screaming that this was outrageous, apparently ignoring the fact that if they continued to pay staff while they weren't allowed to trade they would go bankrupt and there would be no jobs for anyone to return to.

As well all know, the government introduced the furlough scheme and Spoons furloughed their staff. Despite actual living Spoons staff pointing this out to people on social media, the legend that evil Tim sacked his staff continues.

Funny place, social media.

Great post and nice to see the other side of the story (the true side) for a change.

Well he was a keen supporter of Brexit - so he must know best

I don't think he ever said he knew best he had his view like everyone else.

It would make a refreshing change if this didn't turn into another "the leavers were wrong" argument as its been done to death on the forum.

I will repeat again we employed 2 of his staff members during the furlough scheme and both went back once the pubs re-opened so he must be one evil boss? or is that he was a Brexit supporter and people just like giving the brexit supporters bad press?

I will repeat again we employed 2 of his staff members during the furlough scheme and both went back once the pubs re-opened so he must be one evil boss? or is that he was a Brexit supporter and people just like giving the brexit supporters bad press?

He couldn't really win, pay staff and go bust or get another job and when it's over come back if you want to, an honest bloke if you ask me and a lot did go back

Two positive posts this wont end well ;)

I have seen him several times (pre brexit) on morning news and he always came across as a fair and down to earth bloke i couldn't care less what his views on brexit were/are it doesn't change my view of him.

Latest posts

Back