pubs beer is off

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jans1971

Reaction score
my local pub has got carlsberg on tap, i never drink it, i think it tastes of nats but i know some one who does and he has white bits floating in it , the pipes are cleaned every week , they say its only a bit of yeast and still serve it. my wife works there and hates pulling it, i do know that the cooler in the celler hasnt worked for months, so the barrels are sitting in a warm or not a cold room anyway but it does go through a cooler when it is poored. could this be the problem that the barrels are too warm :?:
hope this is in the right post

He's got stale beer sitting in his pipes which is congealing as they rest and it is getting pulled through in the lines. If he "claims" he is cleaning his lines he isn't doing it well enough.

Beer can sit in relatively warm conditions and be pulled through a flash cooler and have no "white bits". I doubt it's yeast as Carlsberg must filter their lager within an inch of it's life and force carbonate the kegs to give it sparkle.

I'm inclined to think some sort of infection - lines cleaned or not.

It could be as AB says though; how much Carlsberg do they actually sell?

Yeast is most unlikely the landlord needs shooting for such disgusting practises.

A resturant would be condemned for serving food with that poor a standard of hygene but pubs get away with it, never quite worked that one out, surely both are consumed?

My ex-local served me a cloudy pint with bits in that looked like dirty nail clippings, found out they were congealled stuff, the landlords response was, "well what do you want me to do about it?" disgusting ******* could not believe it.

jamesb said:
I'm inclined to think some sort of infection - lines cleaned or not.

It could be as AB says though; how much Carlsberg do they actually sell?
dont know how much they sell,ill ask the wife when she gets home

arturobandini said:
He's got stale beer sitting in his pipes which is congealing as they rest and it is getting pulled through in the lines. If he "claims" he is cleaning his lines he isn't doing it well enough.

Beer can sit in relatively warm conditions and be pulled through a flash cooler and have no "white bits". I doubt it's yeast as Carlsberg must filter their lager within an inch of it's life and force carbonate the kegs to give it sparkle.
when i worked behind a bar at our local football club, i always pulled a couple of pints off before i sold any and i will never have the first few pints if i go into a pub early i stick to bottles untill i know its been pulled through.

jans1971 said:
arturobandini said:

when i worked behind a bar at our local football club, i always pulled a couple of pints off before i sold any and i will never have the first few pints if i go into a pub early i stick to bottles untill i know its been pulled through.

That's good practice. Some landlord's don't bother - unsuprising considering how much beer could be wasted like this.

jamesb said:
jans1971 said:
arturobandini said:

That's good practice. Some landlord's don't bother - unsuprising considering how much beer could be wasted like this.
they didnt know i did it, i wont sell anything im not willing to drink myself, but my mates older brother used to drink the slopps buckets at the end of the night :sick:

jans1971 said:
jamesb said:
jans1971 said:

they didnt know i did it, i wont sell anything im not willing to drink myself, but my mates older brother used to drink the slopps buckets at the end of the night :sick:

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Actually, I don't know if it's needed with keg. Cask definately needs it, I hate the first pint or two out of the lines in the morning.

Probably not. Worst it could give you is a funny bum the next morning (so no worse than a normal beer night).

I'm sure I recently got told that no natural infection (i.e. not put in by other ways; e.g. from bad kitchen practices with meat, etc) won't do anyone any harm. Don't quote me on that though.

Most people who complain that they were as sick as a goat after a bad pint usually fail to mention the 12 other pints and the kebab they also had the night before.

I still wouldn't drink it though.

Most people who complain that they were as sick as a goat after a bad pint usually fail to mention the 12 other pints and the kebab they also had the night before.

I still wouldn't drink it though.[/quote]
LOL

J_P said:
was it dry hopped with feta?

It was Carlsberg! You don't dry hop anything except a strong dark ruby porter with Feta!

EDIT: Except dry-hopping in the mouth isn't really dry hopping is it? ;)

Back