Pubs in Chester

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both the Sammy smiths pubs are worth a visit. Don't be tempted to use your phone there though or you may be told to put it away. Closer to the station is the Old Harkers Arms. Walking from the station towards the city. Just after the canal bridge, take the stairs down on the left and the pub is on your right. Always nice beer in there.
If you fancy somewhere with a bit of a different atmosphere, The Albion Inn is good. Bit more difficult to give directions to that but if you head for the roman amphitheatre, take the first left (park street) just after the city walls and the Albion is down on the right.
Chester is quite well endowed for those who enjoy cask ale. I'm sure that there's a pub map somewhere around the net. Can't remember where I've seen it though.

Cheers. Tom

Both the Sammy smiths pubs are worth a visit. Don't be tempted to use your phone there though or you may be told to put it away.

Thanks for the info, Tom. Don't worry, I'm a Sam Smiths veteran, and neither a swear word leaves my mouth or a phone my pocket when I'm in one! Still trying to find one outside of Tadcaster that does their India ale on keg.

Forgot to mention the Pied Bull. Another fine establishment, they also have a small brewery in the cellar. Always good beer in there. From the main road through Chester, take a right (northgate street) and head past the market and cathedral. The Pied Bull is on the left.
The spitting feathers brewery tap is also a good stop. If you continue past northgate street, the next on your left is bridge street. Down there at the traffic lights is the Falcon (Sammy smiths), continue down on lower bridge street and just past ye olde kings head and up some stone steps is the brewery tap. It's easy to miss and the door into the pub is only narrow.

Cheers. Tom

The other Sammy smiths pub, ye olde boot inn is up on the raised wooden walkway on the right before you get to northgate street. There are stone stairs between the street level shops to take you up top.

Cheers. Tom

Go to Whatpub.com (free) it's CAMRA's own and very good for finding what you want, be it an open fire, quiet or whatever are your peccadilloes.

Ok, so I was limited in time but managed to check out the Falcon and have a pint of OBB. Quite liked it in there. I was staying in the Premier Inn near the train station, so popped into the Cellar for one while I waited for the restaurant at the hotel to open (had to eat there as it was pre-paid in expenses). Well jept pint in the Cellar but not my kind of place. Then later in I wandered back into town to Ye Old Boot, which was great. I sat In the corner reading my book and supping India and Nut Brown ale. Loved it.

Last edited:
Back