Pulled the pin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to switch to cornies, but how do you know how much is left in them?
...you weigh 'em :-) when you get a new one, it's a good idea to mark it with the empty weight

I had trouble getting the lids to seal properly until some kind soul here explained that you need to initially take the pressure right up to seat the lid properly down onto the seal. You can sometimes hear them 'pop' a bit when you do this.

Also note that sometimes the lids seal better one way round than the other... I draw a line across the gap so I can get the alignment right.

My procedure is something like this:

1) remove & sterilise O ring, then rub with a little petroleum jelly (the seal... not you) and refit
2) fit lid in correct orientation and lock with lever
3) connect regulator then hold pressure vent open and flood headspace with CO2
4) let go the pressure vent then take the pressure right up until the lid pops (30psi should do it)

Incidentally, it's worth fitting a check (non-return) valve to your gas in disconnect if you want to avoid the risk of beer or foam somehow getting back up the line into your regulator.

Corny kegs are great - only recently moved onto them myself and have already acquired five, with one being given to my son for beer to have at his university flat. The problem you now face is how to keep them cool... there’s this dawning realisation you are on the slippery slope to a kegerator or keezer!

Anna
It’s a very slippery slope. I went from “I don’t have the confidence to set up a proper kegerator I’ll just get a 10L minikeg with Sodastream adapter” to “2020, 2021 and probably 2022’s holiday money have been used to convert the garage into a family room and bar” in the space of a year.

From this:
FA432EA2-3CAB-40FD-876E-FD1E94EB6794.jpeg

to this:
092D4130-2932-45D8-BCD6-003E6264FFDA.jpeg

to this:
0A08E873-CA9F-46F0-96DD-511F21A60C18.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s a very slippery slope. I went from “I don’t have the confidence to set up a proper kegerator I’ll just get a 10L minikeg with Sodastream adapter” to “2020, 2021 and probably 2022’s holiday money have been used to convert the garage into a family room and bar” in the space of a year.

From this:
View attachment 47105

to this:
View attachment 47107

to this:
View attachment 47108
Loving the bar with the discs! 😎 (what happened to your light shade though 😂)

That's not just a slippery slope... that's "embracing the opportunities and establishing the momentum for systemic redesign" (yes I'm in work mode right now)

Anna

Loving the bar with the discs! 😎 (what happened to your light shade though 😂)

That's not just a slippery slope... that's "embracing the opportunities and establishing the momentum for systemic redesign" (yes I'm in work mode right now)

Anna
We changed the light fitting in the store-room/back-bar section to a nicer one since it’s visible through the bar after the photo was taken.

We changed the light fitting in the store-room/back-bar section to a nicer one since it’s visible through the bar after the photo was taken.
Just realised my comment might have come across as critical - really wasn't meant to be at all, nuanced ironic comments so hard in text eek 😟.

Just realised my comment might have come across as critical - really wasn't meant to be at all, nuanced ironic comments so hard in text eek 😟.
Not taken as such, don’t worry.

You’ll also notice there’s no fisheye on my decorative (but usable in an emergency) beer tower in the photo either - that is now in place.

Back