Pulled the pin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excited! Look what's arrived today -

View attachment 45264

I too have just purchased some Cornie kegs from BKT mine have also arrived while I was at work today cannot wait to get home it feels like Christmas. I have 2 finished brews to put in them already. I just need to finish the kegerator off this weekend and away we go. I heard people say it wouldn't take long to get into kegging and I thought that will never be me. Only started home brewing in December and here we are 🤔

I too have just purchased some Cornie kegs from BKT mine have also arrived while I was at work today cannot wait to get home it feels like Christmas. I have 2 finished brews to put in them already. I just need to finish the kegerator off this weekend and away we go. I heard people say it wouldn't take long to get into kegging and I thought that will never be me. Only started home brewing in December and here we are 🤔
Oh, you must be itching to tear those boxes open! At least you know what the boxes look like from my picture.

I must confess I have resisted too long. June 2018 when I returned to brewing, about 40 batches brewed and bottled since then before committing. Ah, well. Nobody can say I didn't stick at it :onechug:

Oh, you must be itching to tear those boxes open! At least you know what the boxes look like from my picture.

I must confess I have resisted too long. June 2018 when I returned to brewing, about 40 batches brewed and bottled since then before committing. Ah, well. Nobody can say I didn't stick at it :onechug:

Sounds like you have done a few brews to warrent the step up to cornies.

I have a question. I have 2 brews ready to go in I just went with the single regulator with a Y splitter if I put both brews in the keg at the same time and hook them both up to the gas say at 20 PSI to "burp" them and just leave them at 10 PSI for 2 weeks (I'm planning to use the set and leave technique always) I'm guessing that is fine right? They are both Ruby ales.

But going forward say 1 keg is empty and I put a new one on can I just put the new keg on at 10psi?I Is it as simple as that or am I going to have to invest in new bits?

If that's a stupid question I will send the kegs back now before opening haha

I'm guessing a bit here as I haven't done this myself yet. I would imagine when one of the kegs has kicked and you wish to take it offline you just disconnect the "gas disconnect" and it will self seal. Re-fill your keg and put the disconnect back on at 10PSI, do whatever "burping" you need and leave to carbonate at 10PSI. The other keg won't be affected. I think that's right. :confused.:

I'm guessing a bit here as I haven't done this myself yet. I would imagine when one of the kegs has kicked and you wish to take it offline you just disconnect the "gas disconnect" and it will self seal. Re-fill your keg and put the disconnect back on at 10PSI, do whatever "burping" you need and leave to carbonate at 10PSI. The other keg won't be affected. I think that's right. :confused.:

Makes sense to me. I was just wondering if the JG disconnects let gas through when not connected but I guess from what you just said the answer is no.

So I can have 1 disconnect attached to 1 keg and the other one just loose and not attatched (when removing the keg) and the gas will only dispense through the one that is connected right?

Don't want to drain all my C02 the first day 😑

I've been playing around today with my new toys I've drilled the holes in the fridge for the taps and the gas line so tomorrow is my first kegging day all been well 👍

Hi guys, I'm new to kegging too (only put one brew in one) but can confirm that the disconnects seal when not on a keg so you should be fine.

I say this from inexperience rather than experience, but just keep checking for leaks with a squirt or star San if you're worried the disconnect hasn't properly sealed. I don't mean every hour, just when you disconnect or connect them... Someone with more experience may say that is unnecessary.

I'm off to keg my second batch and get a brew on. Happy weekend all!

Makes sense to me. I was just wondering if the JG disconnects let gas through when not connected but I guess from what you just said the answer is no.

So I can have 1 disconnect attached to 1 keg and the other one just loose and not attatched (when removing the keg) and the gas will only dispense through the one that is connected right?

Don't want to drain all my C02 the first day 😑

I've been playing around today with my new toys I've drilled the holes in the fridge for the taps and the gas line so tomorrow is my first kegging day all been well 👍
The JG fittings don't stop the gas flow, that's the job of the disconnects. If you're all gas tight, you'll be fine just unhooking at the disconnect.

The disconnects do self seal but I have had one that failed (a small o-ring inside snapped) so leaked gas when I disconnected it, you could clearly hear the gas though so would know if this happened

I currently only have a y splitter and do exactly pretty much this. I leave my regulator at 12 psi, just connect a new keg and it is ready to drink in around a week, the existing keg is not affected

Corny kegs are great - only recently moved onto them myself and have already acquired five, with one being given to my son for beer to have at his university flat. The problem you now face is how to keep them cool... there’s this dawning realisation you are on the slippery slope to a kegerator or keezer!

Anna

Corny kegs are great - only recently moved onto them myself and have already acquired five, with one being given to my son for beer to have at his university flat. The problem you now face is how to keep them cool... there’s this dawning realisation you are on the slippery slope to a kegerator or keezer!

Anna

Oh yeah that's what I've been doing this morning drilling the taps on the fridge and feed for the gas 😂 it's done now just need to get the kegs filled this afternoon and we are up and running just a waiting game then (the worst part)

Attachments

• IMG_20210417_114308.jpg
    IMG_20210417_114308.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 67
Just in case there are any non-converts out there still, this is the lacing from a 4 day old ale served from a keg (4 days from pitching the yeast). Sorry bottles, I've seen the light.

rps20210513_220913.jpg

I'd love to switch to cornies, but how do you know how much is left in them?
I control (hmmmm sort of) my drinking by bringing 3 bottles up from the cellar for an evening. If there was a tap with a magic silver cylinder in the kitchen, I'd be 'just topping up' everytime I bloody passed it!

I'd love to switch to cornies, but how do you know how much is left in them?
I control (hmmmm sort of) my drinking by bringing 3 bottles up from the cellar for an evening. If there was a tap with a magic silver cylinder in the kitchen, I'd be 'just topping up' everytime I bloody passed it!
Yep, that's the general idea clapa

i will let you know next week :beer1:
Great to see you're on board with the great corny experiment Rod ;)
I've only filled 2 so far, but with 5 gallons of Landlord clone cold crashing and plans for a weissbier, a Kölsch and a Golden Ale on the horizon, I'm tentatively looking at another 3 kegs - eeek!

Back