Pulled the plug on my fermenter !!, advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Reaction score
I am brewing a MJ Irish Red Ale, all going well with fementation untill I switched off the power supply in the garage. Now the temperature has dropped from 22 to 12, fementation has stopped.
Warming back up to 22 has not restarted the fementation, I assume I have to re-start it with a starter culture. I have at home spare yeast, Champagne yeast, all purpose white wine yeast and yeast from a Wilco Mexican beer kit.
Please could anyone suggest if any of these will do? If not would it matter if I delay this process while a I order something better.
Many thanks, Mike

How long since you turned the heat back up, it might take a while for the yeast to wake up again As mb says give it a good stir. yeast nutrient if you have any or (again assuming you have one) aerate it with an air stone

As long as you keep it all sterile can't see there'd be a problem with waiting for some more yeast

If none of that works - just go down the pub!

Thanks guys, no not stirred. Will try that tonight. This morning it was 12 hours after being reheated. Will try tonight after work.

Oh, this is embarrassing. I checked the SG and it's down to 1015, so panic over. Have added the hops and just cracked open a previous bottled Porter to celebrate!
Sorry to have wasted everyone's time, I never thought it would fermented down that quickly.

Oh, this is embarrassing. I checked the SG and it's down to 1015, so panic over. Have added the hops and just cracked open a previous bottled Porter to celebrate!
Sorry to have wasted everyone's time, I never thought it would fermented down that quickly.
Not at all. Leave it for a couple of days and see if it's still 1015. Bear in mind that the dry hops can trigger further fermentation. Good luck.

Not at all. Leave it for a couple of days and see if it's still 1015. Bear in mind that the dry hops can trigger further fermentation. Good luck.

Y'know, I dry-hop my parsnip stout in demi-johns when the gravity is around 1010-1012, and it all froths up with secondary fermentation for a few days, and the gravity has gone down to 1005 or even lower, and I bottle it, and it works perfectly. However, attempts to replicate this process with 'proper' beer have been much more uneven, to say the least! :D

Just one those mysteries of the craft! But I'm tending to stick to hopstands for most brews, it just seems less problematic.

Y'know, I dry-hop my parsnip stout in demi-johns when the gravity is around 1010-1012, and it all froths up with secondary fermentation for a few days, and the gravity has gone down to 1005 or even lower, and I bottle it, and it works perfectly. However, attempts to replicate this process with 'proper' beer have been much more uneven, to say the least! :D

Just one those mysteries of the craft! But I'm tending to stick to hopstands for most brews, it just seems less problematic.
Parsnip stout sounds interesting. Do tell.

Edit:
Found the thread here: Parsnip Stout

Back