pulping apples

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy 93

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had used a garden shredder to pulp before pressing. if so how did it go.

I`m thinking of buying one for this purpose, also considering an under sink waste disposal unit

Yep I use a garden shredder. I guess it completely depends on the make model but the one I had works fine. The one issue I had was the plastic hopper that limited the width of the branches meant all the apples had to be chopped. This took aaaages and in the end I made some modifications to get around this. It meant the spinning blade is rather exposed but keep your hands well away and it will be fine. Here is post from a thread from a few years ago... My 2017 Cider Thread

There's a few concerns about cleanliness of the blade. Personally I feel give it all a good clean after use. I'm sure long term juice will be getting in the moving parts but I'll keep using this until it fails...

I've seen a waste disposal unit used as a pulper. Seems to work very well when piped with a side exit into a brew bucket. Used with a pusher it can cope with whole apples. Have a look on youtube. Seems the most compact and easiest to clean.

Latest posts

Back