Pumpkin Beer - Extract (DME) and using a Tincture - Looking for Opinions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Show Me a Stein

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm interested in making a pumpkin beer. I was looking for some thoughts on the recipe below. I'm intending to do an extract, and after reading, it seems that the spices associated with pumpkin are actually what deliver the recognisable taste, not pumpkin itself, i.e. it's not necessary to bother with literal pumpkin or puree. I'm planning to just use a tincture, as apparently that seems the most controllable.

20L / 5 US gallon batch:

3KG of Muntons Light DME
250g Munich Malt Steeped (60 mins)
30g Tettnang Hops (coming out to 13.1 IBU) (deliberately low, it's what I like)
1 tsp Irish Moss (last 10 minutes) (for fining)
Mangrove Jack Liberty Bell Ale Yeast

I'm then planning to add a tincture to the Fermentation Vessel just before bottling, like I would with sugar for carbonation. For a 20L batch, I'm unsure on the quantity for each really, maybe a teaspoon each, but these are the spices:

Cinnamon Powder
Nutmeg
Cloves (Ground or Whole? I have both)
Ginger (maybe)
Vanilla Bean (maybe)

mixed with 250g of vodka for a couple of weeks before being added

I'm not sure on the quantity of the spices. Maybe I should added earlier to the fermentation vessel?

In any case, any advice here would be appreciated, as I am unsure!

Does the plan sound good in general? Any potential improvements? Mistakes?

Cheers!

I'll certainly update this down the line with how well it turns out in case anyone else is interested in doing something similar!

Sorry to bump this!

Any thoughts? :D

Mainly on whether this sounds like it would work out, and what's the best method to deliver the spices.

Sorry to bump this!

Any thoughts? :D

Mainly on whether this sounds like it would work out, and what's the best method to deliver the spices.
Add at bottling with a syringe. Test in a sample before, because the spiciness could be overwhelming.

Make separate tinctures. One or two teaspoon with 50 mL of vodka. Add different proportions. That'll impart unique flavours to each bottle. Few mL should be enough.

Off course, it's just some ideas.

Let us know the results!

Latest posts

Back