Punch Nebbiolo 30 Bottle Wine Kit (From Creative Winemaking)

Discussion in 'Member Reviews - Wine & Cider Kits.' started by LED_ZEP, Jun 7, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Jun 7, 2019 #1

LED_ZEP

LED_ZEP

LED_ZEP

I got this got this kit to see how it compares to other kits based on it's price (£29.95)

The result was a drinkable red but nothing special, lacking in depth of flavour and body compared to the £40 kits (Beaverdale and CC) which themselves are lacking compared to £50 kits (at what price do you stop and just by a bottle from the shop?) . That said it stands well above other kits in the £20 to £30 range I've tried .

Can I recommend it? Yes but don't expect medicals this is a cheap red kit.

2. Jun 12, 2019 #2

LED_ZEP

LED_ZEP

LED_ZEP

I hate auto correct the above should read miracles not medicals, it's not that bad....:laugh8:

Jules W and gregd like this.
  3. Jun 12, 2019 #3

gregd

gregd

gregd

clapa

4. Jun 26, 2019 #4

Madmatt

Madmatt

Madmatt

Haha, great typo!!
    I agree, where do you stop. Personally I’ve tried lots of kits up to winexpert world vineyard cost, and always end up back at beaverdale Nebbiolo.
    It still isn’t as deep in flavour as any £4-£5 bottle but is perfectly drinkable, in my opinion. Saying that, not many of our friends speak that highly so always buy bottles when entertaining.
    Has anyone made any wines that are as good in flavour and depth than bought bottles?
    Currently have 2 kits bubbling away, one Nebbiolo and one chateaux du roi. Have made both before, and hard to tell the difference IMO

5. Jun 28, 2019 #5

LED_ZEP

LED_ZEP

LED_ZEP

I've commented many times on here that the Beaverdale and CC wine kits are great wines for the money but all taste very similar regardless of what grape/wine variety they say they are. The one thing I've found that gets them closer to tasting like a £5 bottle of red from the shop is adding oak. I've got most of an old wine barrel that I get oak shavings from and add to the kits but you do need to leave longer in the bottle.

This is where I get my oak from, I made this for a friend from a barrel he'd bought and got to keep the rest of the barrel.

[​IMG]

6. Jul 19, 2019 #6

Madmatt

Madmatt

Madmatt

Wow! Bet that takes a bit of sterilising !!

7. Jul 19, 2019 #7

LED_ZEP

LED_ZEP

LED_ZEP

Not really I just cut the grotty outside edge off on the bandsaw, then take savings with a hand plane and lightly toast in the oven to kill any nasties.