Punch Nebbiolo 30 Bottle Wine Kit (From Creative Winemaking)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LED_ZEP

Reaction score
I got this got this kit to see how it compares to other kits based on it's price (£29.95)

The result was a drinkable red but nothing special, lacking in depth of flavour and body compared to the £40 kits (Beaverdale and CC) which themselves are lacking compared to £50 kits (at what price do you stop and just by a bottle from the shop?) . That said it stands well above other kits in the £20 to £30 range I've tried .

Can I recommend it? Yes but don't expect medicals this is a cheap red kit.

Haha, great typo!!
I agree, where do you stop. Personally I’ve tried lots of kits up to winexpert world vineyard cost, and always end up back at beaverdale Nebbiolo.
It still isn’t as deep in flavour as any £4-£5 bottle but is perfectly drinkable, in my opinion. Saying that, not many of our friends speak that highly so always buy bottles when entertaining.
Has anyone made any wines that are as good in flavour and depth than bought bottles?
Currently have 2 kits bubbling away, one Nebbiolo and one chateaux du roi. Have made both before, and hard to tell the difference IMO

Has anyone made any wines that are as good in flavour and depth than bought bottles?
Currently have 2 kits bubbling away, one Nebbiolo and one chateaux du roi. Have made both before, and hard to tell the difference IMO

I've commented many times on here that the Beaverdale and CC wine kits are great wines for the money but all taste very similar regardless of what grape/wine variety they say they are. The one thing I've found that gets them closer to tasting like a £5 bottle of red from the shop is adding oak. I've got most of an old wine barrel that I get oak shavings from and add to the kits but you do need to leave longer in the bottle.

This is where I get my oak from, I made this for a friend from a barrel he'd bought and got to keep the rest of the barrel.

toy-barrel-2-png.9883

I've commented many times on here that the Beaverdale and CC wine kits are great wines for the money but all taste very similar regardless of what grape/wine variety they say they are. The one thing I've found that gets them closer to tasting like a £5 bottle of red from the shop is adding oak. I've got most of an old wine barrel that I get oak shavings from and add to the kits but you do need to leave longer in the bottle.

This is where I get my oak from, I made this for a friend from a barrel he'd bought and got to keep the rest of the barrel.
Great advice re the oak...I wonder if the oak chips supplied with the kits can be used again? Perhaps toasting them lightly in a low oven would develop greater flavour in the aged wine?
I cannot agree re the various wine flavours - at least regarding the reds which I find very accurate to the grape they purport to be, and quite distinctive. I have just blended Merlot and Nebiolo and the result is really brilliant. The Merlot softens the Nebiolo but still allows it to show its robust quality. I believe Merlot is often blended commercially as it is quick to mature.

Latest posts

Back