Punk IPA (Incredibly Poor Ale)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury_tea

Landlord.
Reaction score
IMG_20211019_190622.jpg

Picked up 2 bottles from the shop across the road (they have a terrible range - this is the only craft type beer they do). Opened the first and took a swig, tasted like an old shoe. Poured it into a glass and it looked like a pint of mild.

2nd bottle didn't look oxidised, and maybe my taste buds were marred, but it didn't taste right. It was more like musty and dank than fresh and fruity.

Needless to say it's the last bottle I'll buy from them. Not the first time I've had a bad beer from them and last time I complained (there was a cork of trub/yeast in the neck that time), they made me open a brewdog account, promised to transfer a tenner into it and never did.

Any dates/batch numbers on the bottles? Its usually ok in cans.
Can post on their forum if you want.

Last edited:
I used to love punk ipa, and hazy jane, honestly the past couple of years most of their beers have gone down hill :( I sent them a picture of trub that came out of a hazy jane can last year.They e mailed me a £10 voucher, still in my email( if any supporting member wants it pm me)

There are so many better choices than brew dog out there now.My go to off the shelf now is proper job, can't go to wrong with that imo.

DA6BE0A2-8D44-4BE0-891A-493F085C3202.jpeg
I contacted them about this jackhammer and they just sent a long winded and complicated reply to explain it. Tasted ok though. But I tried the layer cake last night, never ever again. Hideous tasting beer, way too sweet.

They have always been monumentally inconsistent. Mainly through their relentless expansion and pursuit of money. I understand wanting to get bigger and grow as a business, but they have never allied that with a consistent desire for quality control. They know they can just throw out some soundbites and any perfectly valid criticism of their beers gets squashed by their converted fans and press coverage they know they get from their press releases.

Their early cask offerings were genuinely good beers, bit of a shame they never built on that from a quality perspective. Still, there are many great consistent breweries out there, so no need for anyone to buy brewpup beers if you don't want to.

my faves at the moment are the dogs window brewery, vocation, salt, magic rock.

I like around half of brewdogs output atm. Still some great beers but some shockers as well.

I used to love punk ipa, and hazy jane, honestly the past couple of years most of their beers have gone down hill :( I sent them a picture of trub that came out of a hazy jane can last year.They e mailed me a £10 voucher, still in my email( if any supporting member wants it pm me)

There are so many better choices than brew dog out there now.My go to off the shelf now is proper job, can't go to wrong with that imo.
I agree, Proper Job is my staple. My most often brewed beer is a clone of Proper Job that I have been doing for several years and is really consistent and pretty close to the commercial version (to the extent that I now prefer mine to theirs).

I used to love Punk IPA and even became a Brewdog shareholder in 2009 (through their crowdfunding process). And I had a great time at their Annual General Meeting in 2018. 8 bands, 10 bars, 12 free beers, and briefings from their brewers.

But in the last few years, they sold part of the company to venture capital investors, grew too quickly, and started to reduce their costs by tweaking the ingredients in the beers. Then the culture suffered and many people left.

Over on the Brewdog equity holders forum, there are constant complaints about the company, its strategy, and most of all its attitude.

Most private investors like me don't care about making money. They care about craft beer (albeit some people are a little too cultish at times for my liking).

However, I think its just a matter of time before founders get outsted and a Diageo type company steps in.

Entrepreneurs with the vision and charisma to get a startup off the ground are all too often a ruddy liability running a large business.
Equally people with the expertise to lead a big business and keep it on the rails are typically a ruddy liability managing a disruptive 'challenger' culture and Brand.

Truth is it's very hard to grow a new business to scale without killing it.
And if you let venture capitalists get involved then really you are in for fun and games.

Last edited:
my faves at the moment are the dogs window brewery, vocation, salt, magic rock.

I like around half of brewdogs output atm. Still some great beers but some shockers as well.
Dogs window are superb. Don’t get enough love

Would you be willing to share the recipe please?

This was one I did, based on one that won the Proper Job brewing competition a while ago. I think they do a whirlpool or hop back rather than a hop stand though.
it tastes pretty close despite the fact I froze a lump of it whilst coldcrashing and didn’t notice until I was part way through transfer!

Proper Job - Joe
Brewfather

Would you be willing to share the recipe please? athumb..
Happy to share the recipe for Proper Job. This is based on a recipe that I found that won a competition for home brewing Proper Job that St Austell ran several years ago and I have tweeked slightly. It works for me every time and is based a a 21 - 22 litre brew length and a 70% efficiency.

Grist:
5125 grams Maris Otter pale

Hops:
Start of Boil:
Chinook - 15g
Willamette - 20g

Last 15 min:
25g Chinook
40g Willamette

Flame out:
30g Chinnok
40g Willamette
40g Cascade

Mash: 60 - 70 min
Boil: 60 - 70 min
Yeast: Nottingham Ale (I found it better than Safale S-04)

Enjoy!

Happy to share the recipe for Proper Job. This is based on a recipe that I found that won a competition for home brewing Proper Job that St Austell ran several years ago and I have tweeked slightly. It works for me every time and is based a a 21 - 22 litre brew length and a 70% efficiency.

Grist:
5125 grams Maris Otter pale

Hops:
Start of Boil:
Chinook - 15g
Willamette - 20g

Last 15 min:
25g Chinook
40g Willamette

Flame out:
30g Chinnok
40g Willamette
40g Cascade

Mash: 60 - 70 min
Boil: 60 - 70 min
Yeast: Nottingham Ale (I found it better than Safale S-04)

Enjoy!
Thanks! Just MO - interesting. What's your water like?

I have never had an analysis done.
Just for info, as you give your location as Lewes I guess you're on Southern water? You can get your specific water report by entering your postcode on this page: Your area and following the link to 'download report'.
Guessing a central-ish postcode I get this:

Attachments

• ZS536.pdf
    114.1 KB · Views: 40
Just for info, as you give your location as Lewes I guess you're on Southern water? You can get your specific water report by entering your postcode on this page: Your area and following the link to 'download report'.
Guessing a central-ish postcode I get this:
Actually we are in a weird set up where South East Water supply us and Southern Water deal with waste water. But Omay well get a report done. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back