Punk ipa Wetherspoons 5,2%

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned up.. for obvious reasons I think we all know why. I think the OP had a decent thread worth discussing since I think we have all seen evidence of this cropping up from beers they used to think were better. Hobgoblin I def think has gone downhill.

But to randomly mill it with some odd rantings about politics

Hobgoblin I def think has gone downhill.
The Hobgoblin Gold for me. When I first tried it I was blown away. The last couple of times I’ve had it, I could have been drinking any generic golden ale. I’ve kindly been pointed in the direction of a recipe for a clone of the original so I’m quite excited to try it out!

I have hazy memories from somewhere that the original Hob Gold was made with Nelson Sauvin...until they became more expensive...it was a good drink though.
Have a look for...
Funkmasterwoofs hobgoblin gold clone....looks interesting...

Finally managed to try this last night after a shopping 'expedition' - seems the toilet roll clowns are all at it again as i had to visit 2 stores to get my beers...err i mean fruit vegetables and general supplies....

Mmm well. Seems lighter in colour. Less of an aftertaste. Somewhat watery. TBH at £1.09 id sooner put another 40p to it and get the 4 for 6 deal at the local Morro's.

Can said 5.6%.

I dont think i will have it again. Not even in an 'emergency' I will stick to bottles of the real deal.

I have hazy memories from somewhere that the original Hob Gold was made with Nelson Sauvin...until they became more expensive...it was a good drink though.
Have a look for...
Funkmasterwoofs hobgoblin gold clone....looks interesting...
Yes it was definitely the distinctive flavour from the NS that disappeared. I have a clone recipe from AdeDunn that I plan to brew at some point.

What’s going on

just been on spoons app and punk ipa in pub catford I use when working is 5,4
Spoons in notts I use it’s 5,2 and shyte

pissing Londoners get good stuff ! 😡

What’s going on

just been on spoons app and punk ipa in pub catford I use when working is 5,4
Spoons in notts I use it’s 5,2 and shyte

pissing Londoners get good stuff ! 😡

Yes I'm in cannon Street station and app seems to anticipate both albeit only have the 5.4%
Screenshot_20201001-195557_Wetherspoon.jpg

It’ll be down to 3.6 by the end of the next bloody lockdown
I don’t really care about the abv, I always thought it was too strong for a session beer anyway
It’s the stripping back and changing of the hops whilst coincidentally happens at the same time as “double punk” is launched, 8.8% £3.50 for 440ml and tastes bought like the original
Sell out b******s

It’ll be down to 3.6 by the end of the next bloody lockdown
I don’t really care about the abv, I always thought it was too strong for a session beer anyway
It’s the stripping back and changing of the hops whilst coincidentally happens at the same time as “double punk” is launched, 8.8% £3.50 for 440ml and tastes bought like the original
Sell out b******s
It’s actually got more hops in it now and more expensive to make. I did a few taste tests that were organised when they were working on the revised recipe.

I think Brewdog stopped making good beers a few years ago. Punk used to be a really nice IPA, but several years ago it became really bland, smae thing happened with Elvis Juice. I remember it having really potent orange and grapefruit flavours and last time I had it it tasted like any other generic IPA. I was really sad to see they got rid of their Hardcore IPA, and replaced it with a beer so bad I ended up pouring it down the drain. I tend to avoid Brewdog, there are plenty of better generic pales and IPAs which are just as readily available.

It’s actually got more hops in it now and more expensive to make. I did a few taste tests that were organised when they were working on the revised recipe.
Sorry Bud have to respectfully disagree
It’s nowhere near as hoppy as once was and troll through a few forums and a lot of others agree
100% the original was better but hey ho it’s all subjective

Brew Dog used to have something on the bottles like "We brew our way and if you don't like it, up yours!" Now they're doing blind taste tests and allowing the public to decide. The logical conclusion to this scenario is that they'll soon be making a John Smiths smooth clone:mad:
I can't like this post , cos as you allude to, blind taste tests will blandardise the product if joe public have a say.

I had a can of Aldi's Punk clone last night. It's 5.6% and it was pretty good 6/10 and I would buy again. However I also bought a Brut IPA by 10/4 brewing which was blandness, should call themselves 4/10.

Latest posts

Back