Punk ipa Wetherspoons 5,2%

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a side by side with Aldi Anti and Punk IPA and before I go further I am no expert at doing reviews so just a basic observation. The Aldi was slightly more malty and less fruity than the punk but apart from that they are not too dissimilar. I think that some people are serious hop heads and do not give credit to both of these beers as they do fit into a niche market of the cheaper end of IPA's and can not be loaded with loads of hops just because of costs restraints.
They should not be compared with serious hop bomb IPA's as they obviously are not £4 plus a can and its like comparing a Ford Focus with a Focus ST. IMO they are both reasonable beers in a price driven market

@AdeDunn I put your recipe into Beersmith and it comes out at 75 IBU! In practice was it bitter? My recollection of this on cask was pretty smooth with just a slight bite.

Also, any tips on the yeast? I was thinking of using US-05 or maybe nottingham.

Last edited:
@AdeDunn I put your recipe into Beersmith and it comes out at 75 IBU! In practice was it bitter? My recollection of this on cask was pretty smooth with just a slight bite.

Also, any tips on the yeast? I was thinking of using US-05 or maybe nottingham.

Did you adjust for the AA of the hops, as this changes per harvest? I have it at 38.4 IBUs in Beersmith 3 with the hops at the AA % for the years of harvest at the time.

Also, I used to brew full sized, 25 litre batches into the FV back then, you didn't put it in as 14 litres like I brew now did you?

Last edited:
As you say you use Beersmith, here's the file for the recipe scaled to 14 litres (the volume I brew now). Easy to scale back up if you need to.

Attachments

• HobgoblinGClone.bsmx
    33.1 KB · Views: 91
No worries. Definitely wasn't 75 IBUs though! I used whole hops, so my boiler was packed with hops on the bottom at the end, but they're mostly late additions, so don't add much to the IBUs. Just lots of lovely flavour. It tasted just like Hobgoblin Gold that was around when I brewed it, just not as clear. lol

Latest posts

Back