PureBrew Starbrite and Britewort.... or just a whirlflock tablet?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavensBrew

Reaction score
I'm putting together an order with GetErBrewed for my first all grain recipes (Big Book of Clone Recipes) and would appreciate some advice. I will probably start with BIAB while improving my set-up.

My part-mash endeavors were with kits from Dark Rock Brewing and they always include PureBrew Starbrite and Britewort, but GetErBrewed does not stock them. So my questions is if I need an alternative for all of these or will a whirlflock tablet as finings be all I really need?

PS. I'm going with GEB as they allow me to order what I need for each recipe to the nearest gram.

Whirlfloc is a kettle fining agent so it can be used as a replacement for Britewort. Starbrite seems to be for fining after fermentation, in which case you could use dried gelatin as a substitute (or just leave it out completely).

I am brewing BIAB and use Whirfloc in the last 5 mins of the boil, I have also tried using Chitosan for the cold side when bottling although I think Whirfloc alone would be quite adequate

I normally just use Irish moss in the boil, and cold crash to clear up beers.

However, the two Kveik beers I made recently didn't want to clear up at all so I used Starbrite and it really worked well.

Back