Purging Corny kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before pressuring the keg. I do it straight away to get any oxygen off the beer so lid on purge if full about 5/6 squirts of Co2 followed by the same amount of releases for a second each time then pressure to what I want
What I mean is 5/6 release of the pressure valve which allows the gas to go in each time so 5/6 releases with the gas on

Straight away. Minimising contact time with oxygen is the idea. So delaying it any isn’t ideal.

Beer straight into the keg (no filling with CO2 before hand). Lid on, gas disconnect on, fill it with C02 then burp the PRV half a dozen times or so for about a second each time.

Quite fancy trying out flushing the keg with gas before filling with beer, but no oxidised brews yet so “if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.”

Do it immediately. I do 5 cycles of 15psi and release. Then I set and forget at whatever carbing pressure for a few weeks. I got my figure of 5x15 from this site. Specifically, this table:

wbQLkX6.png

The entry for 5x15psi brings the O2 down to 3% of what it was which is low enough to satisfy my paranoia :)

Great chart Foxbatathumb..
looks likwe all do it the same straight away hook up the gas and 5/6 purges for approx a second

Do it immediately. I do 5 cycles of 15psi and release. Then I set and forget at whatever carbing pressure for a few weeks. I got my figure of 5x15 from this site. Specifically, this table:

wbQLkX6.png

The entry for 5x15psi brings the O2 down to 3% of what it was which is low enough to satisfy my paranoia :)
This is great

If you've got the inclination and something else actively fermenting you can purge the keg by attaching a hose to whatever you use as an airlock. Then when kegging if you want to be super anal about it fill through the beer out and have a second hose from the gas going back to the top of a fermenter so the co2 is displaced on top of the beer.

How about floating a tea-light on the beer then quickly shutting the lid so it burns up all the oxygen? Then either purge out the stinky gas or have a lovely smokey edge to your beer.

Last edited:
If you've got the inclination and something else actively fermenting you can purge the keg by attaching a hose to whatever you use as an airlock. Then when kegging if you want to be super anal about it fill through the beer out and have a second hose from the gas going back to the top of a fermenter so the co2 is displaced on top of the beer.

How about floating a tea-light on the beer then quickly shutting the lid so it burns up all the oxygen? Then either purge out the stinky gas or have a lovely smokey edge to your beer.
. Dr Drunkula do your damned experiments know no bounds .... witchcraft is at play here I tell you WITCHCRAFT !!

That's the best method, use the gas from the fermenting wort to purge an already sanitised keg of any oxygen. I do it for kegs and secondary's.
Primary to secondary, secondary to keg, keg to blow off.
001.JPG

Latest posts

Back