Q. For the big drinkers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokinMesa

Reaction score
Hey guys. So I drink everyday. Probably way too much.

Cost me a fortune, should cut down yada yada (not the point of this thread).

My question is, do you big drinkers brew all your own drinks or do you find you drink more than you can brew and/or need to supplement?

Hey guys. So I drink everyday. Probably way too much.

Cost me a fortune, should cut down yada yada (not the point of this thread).

My question is, do you big drinkers brew all your own drinks or do you find you drink more than you can brew and/or need to supplement?
I buy beer and brew it, the first too much the latter not enough.
This “hobby” has definitely not increased my health but it’s damn fine and a whole lot better than stamp collecting (sorry, I know that’s nothing to do with what you asked)

I also drink most days but almost never before evening time. I'm also a scotch whisky guy and visit distilleries as another hobby. I try and limit whisky to a couple of nights a week with beer on the others. I've just finished a London porter brew which won't be ready to drink for a couple of weeks. In the meantime I'll be drinking beers mainly from the Williams bros. Check out the heather ale they do or the midnight sun 👌

Suppose u would have to do 4or 5 batches then 2 every week to keep up guessing u would be drinking around 60 to 70 pints a week it is possible and worth it to brew you're own

I have been known to have a quick half of an evening and I like to brew twice a week. I'm glad to say stocks are mounting up, but that's mainly because we haven't had any holiday guests to stay or friends round during the "confinement". Still waiting for my serious drinking companions to make it across the Channel, but every time they book a ferry, it gets put back by another fortnight. Second time now! Hoping to have another few weeks of brewing weather before I have to stop for the summer due to the temperature. I use my fridges for hop and yeast storage and cooling the beer rather than fermenting in. Still buy a few bottles of La Goudale or Trois Monts when we go to the supermarket because it's good stuff and the bottles and corks come in handy. To answer your question though- No! I can brew enough to slake even my mighty thirst, but then I no longer have to work for a living. (Come to think of it, work didn't stop me then, either).

My usual brew cycle is based roughly on a 10 bottle a week consumption...give or take a few, depending how my shifts fall. This means I can't drink every night as working days for two and night for two. I'll have a couple between days/ nights.
So to simplify I need at least at least 6 weeks for a batch to be ready,that's a 60 bottle reserve,so until my relapse and average brew day every week and a half...sounds a lot but if you don't bother you soon run out. I don't give many away...

3-4 bottles on a Friday night and 3-4 bottles on a Saturday night. Very occasionally I’ll have a single bottle midweek (although during lockdown this has maybe been slightly more frequent but still only one bottle one day midweek).

My last couple of brews are ones that will age for months and still be ok.

Pre lockdown I would get through 1.5-3L of home brew a week depending on if I bought commercial beer on a Saturday. I tended to go to the pub on a Friday, but now of, course all my drinking is done at home. I‘m tending to get beer delivered from my local brewery on a Friday which is a nice pub alternative but still probably at 3-4L of home brew a week now meaning I’m needing to brew pretty much every fortnight to maintain a steady supply rather than every 4-5 weeks.

I did go through a phase where I was only drinking home brew but their are too many excellent commercial beers to only drink homebrew.

I used to be a heavy drinker in my younger days, not so much now. Drink Friday & Saturday and maybe once midweek. I can easily produce enough to keep me going but I do like to try different beers from time to time and there are a few old favourites I like to have every now and again. I probably give 30%-40% of my beer away to family and friends.

You had to ask! The doctor asked once too - I told him I drank half what I really drink and he told me that I was drinking twice as much as I should - what?!

I probably drink about 6 pints in total between Monday and Thursday, and about 6 pints each day Fri, Sat, Sun. Bank Holidays and other days off bring those days into weekend territory.

I brew most weekends and I buy beers. The beers I buy are usually because I don’t brew those beers but fancy one every so often or they are beers that just look good - usually when I see them on here!

My daughter also buys me mixed boxes of beers from Beer52 or Beerhawk and I enjoy the variety in those.

I have 8 kegs on the go at any given time so generally I’m self sufficient.

I work shifts as well, I'm at work for 24 hours at a time with a sleep in, so I can't drink on those nights, then I'm home for 24 hours then back in work again for 24. I'll often have a 'couple' between shifts but it's good for me if I don't drink between 2 shifts because I've then had 3 nights off, at which time I am usually gasping for a pint.

On my days off I can easily drink 10 pints of homebrew and I usually supplement with a few craft beers to try which I call 'research'.

I'm also a member of Naked Wines, which is a subscription service where you can order crates of wine from independent wine makers. So once a week or so I'll crack a bottle of wine as well!

Definitely too much and brewing my own has definitely made me drink more.

I work shifts as well, I'm at work for 24 hours at a time with a sleep in, so I can't drink on those nights, then I'm home for 24 hours then back in work again for 24. I'll often have a 'couple' between shifts but it's good for me if I don't drink between 2 shifts because I've then had 3 nights off, at which time I am usually gasping for a pint.

On my days off I can easily drink 10 pints of homebrew and I usually supplement with a few craft beers to try which I call 'research'.

I'm also a member of Naked Wines, which is a subscription service where you can order crates of wine from independent wine makers. So once a week or so I'll crack a bottle of wine as well!

Definitely too much and brewing my own has definitely made me drink more.

Thats over a gallon of beer or a whole mini keg! ashock1 How could can you possibly drink so much?

Back