Quaffing ale bottle swap?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, just for information, how do you package and post a full bottle of homebrew?

Yep the bottles boxes are good - mine are starting to look a bit worse for wear after going through the post approx 10 times. But if I'm sending to someone whos not sending one back then I just wrap well with bubble wrap. Not had one arrive broken yet.
If you fancy a swap I've got bottle of APA with chinook, galaxy & cascade at 5.2% that's ready to go?

Definitely up for a bottle swap. I have a Tropical IPA (6.7% abv, citra, mosaic, amarillo). It's 3 months bottle condition so has mellowed a little but it is still really good. Good head retention.

Or a Belgian Tripel (9% abv). It's 6 months conditioned and I really enjoyed the bottle I had last weekend. Can't comment on head retention as I drank it straight from the bottle.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Definitely up for a bottle swap. I have a Tropical IPA (6.7% abv, citra, mosaic, amarillo). It's 3 months bottle condition so has mellowed a little but it is still really good. Good head retention.

Or a Belgian Tripel (9% abv). It's 6 months conditioned and I really enjoyed the bottle I had last weekend. Can't comment on head retention as I drank it straight from the bottle.

Nice one. The tropical IPA sounds right up my street. PM me your address and I'll get a bottle in the post.
:cheers:

@dan125 did you get round to trying the cali common? I'm long gone on my stock now

@dan125 did you get round to trying the cali common? I'm long gone on my stock now

Only got round to it yesterday sorry.
With a mild bready malt & fruity aroma it was a good quaffable brew :thumb: even though you can tell its quite strong, I thought the medium bitterness was well balanced with a bit of malty sweetness - one of those pints thats gone before you know it.
Thanks for the swap.

Hi Dan. I've just finished your APA, and it was incredible. It had a malty, slightly​ toffee hint to it, which I absolutely love. Other elements I got were floral, bread, and brioche.

It was also technically perfect: carbonation, head, very little sediment (did you cold crash?)

It so happens to be my favourite type of beer, hops and maltiness. I could easily drink it all night. Would you be willing to share the recipe??

Well done mate.

Picked up from P.O. today. Now in the fridge. Will send yours tomorrow. 😎🍻

Have you sent the bottle yet? No worries if you haven't - just wondered if its been lost in the post?
Also be interestd to know what you thought of the quaffing ale if you've had a chance to try it?

Hi Dan. I've just finished your APA, and it was incredible. It had a malty, slightly​ toffee hint to it, which I absolutely love. Other elements I got were floral, bread, and brioche.

It was also technically perfect: carbonation, head, very little sediment (did you cold crash?)

It so happens to be my favourite type of beer, hops and maltiness. I could easily drink it all night. Would you be willing to share the recipe??

Well done mate.

Very kind of you mate - glad you liked it.
I've recently changed my method to include a cold crash in an attempt to improve the clarity of my beers a bit - not that you could tell from the APA:lol:.

Happy to share the recipe - let me know if you give it a go:-

24L batch
OG 1.050
FG 1.010
37ish IBUs

4.5kg Marris Otter
600g Vienna malt
200g Wheat malt
150g Dingemans aromatic malt
10g roasted de-husked barley

60mins
11g Chinook @ 14.5%AAA

10mins
20g Galaxy @ 14.9%AA
20g Cascade @ 7.1%AA

Steep 30mins @ 70C
30g Galaxy
30g Cascade

Dry hop 4 days before cold crashing
40g Galaxy
40g Cascade
20g Chinook

WLP051 California V ale yeast

When I make it again I'll probably leave out the wheat malt and icrease the late hopping a little bit.

Thanks Dan. It has been added to my brew schedule.

I just checked out aromatic malt, and also WLP051. Both new to me, but they sound great.

Can I ask your mashing schedule/water quantities? An OG of 1.050 seems low, so I think you may use more water than I usually do. Or did you liquor back?

Thanks Dan. It has been added to my brew schedule.

I just checked out aromatic malt, and also WLP051. Both new to me, but they sound great.

Can I ask your mashing schedule/water quantities? An OG of 1.050 seems low, so I think you may use more water than I usually do. Or did you liquor back?

I BIAB, and usually only have an efficiency of 70% (but its prediactable so I just use as many grains as needed to get the required OG)
To end up with 24L in the FV I mashed at 67C in 32L of water & did my ususal sort of a sparge with another 5L at 72C.
I really like the aromatic malt and use small qtys in a lot of beers. I tried the Cali V yeast as I hoped it would leave a bit of body. I like it but it kicks off an big sulphur smell while fermenting.

Have you sent the bottle yet? No worries if you haven't - just wondered if its been lost in the post?
Also be interestd to know what you thought of the quaffing ale if you've had a chance to try it?
Just realised on checking it's still here! In my head I had been sent!
I'll make sure it's sen tomorrow. Sorry

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@Martybhoy1980 I'm just enjoying your TIPA (couldn't wait till the w/e)

What a cracking brew!
Did you say its been bottled for 3 months? As its still got really good citrussy, and slightly peachy fruity hop aroma and flavour - with a bit more caramel coming through as it warms up.
It's deceptively drinkable for its strength.
Do you mind sharing your recipe? I'd be really interested to see the hop schedule.
If I was being really picky I'd say that to tastes its very slightly sweet finishing and maybe a slightly lower FG or maybe few more IBUs to balance would make it even better????
I've finished it now before finishing writing this post & wish I had another.
Great beer - thanks for the swap.

Very kind of you mate - glad you liked it.
I've recently changed my method to include a cold crash in an attempt to improve the clarity of my beers a bit - not that you could tell from the APA:lol:.

Happy to share the recipe - let me know if you give it a go:-

24L batch
OG 1.050
FG 1.010
37ish IBUs

4.5kg Marris Otter
600g Vienna malt
200g Wheat malt
150g Dingemans aromatic malt
10g roasted de-husked barley

60mins
11g Chinook @ 14.5%AAA

10mins
20g Galaxy @ 14.9%AA
20g Cascade @ 7.1%AA

Steep 30mins @ 70C
30g Galaxy
30g Cascade

Dry hop 4 days before cold crashing
40g Galaxy
40g Cascade
20g Chinook

WLP051 California V ale yeast

When I make it again I'll probably leave out the wheat malt and icrease the late hopping a little bit.

200g+ of hops, that's ma boy :grin:

@Martybhoy1980 I'm just enjoying your TIPA (couldn't wait till the w/e)

What a cracking brew!
Did you say its been bottled for 3 months? As its still got really good citrussy, and slightly peachy fruity hop aroma and flavour - with a bit more caramel coming through as it warms up.
It's deceptively drinkable for its strength.
Do you mind sharing your recipe? I'd be really interested to see the hop schedule.
If I was being really picky I'd say that to tastes its very slightly sweet finishing and maybe a slightly lower FG or maybe few more IBUs to balance would make it even better????
I've finished it now before finishing writing this post & wish I had another.
Great beer - thanks for the swap.
Cheers for the good review Dan! Glad you enjoyed it. It's always a bit nerve wracking when someone else tries your brew, especially someone who is also a brewer.

I don't have my notes handy, so don't know if, or by how much I missed the FG. It is meant to be quite dry, so I probably fell slightly short of target.

Tropical IPA (20ltr)

Grain bill -
4.5kg Maris Otter
0.3kg Munich malt
0.2kg Oats
0.5kg sugar

Hops -
20g Citra - 15mins
20g Citra - 10mins
30g Citra - 5 mins
30g Citra - aroma steep
100g Mosaic - aroma steep
50g Amarillo - dry hop

Yeast -
WLP001

OG: 1.058-1.062
FG: 1.006-1.010

75min mash @ 64.5°
75min boil

Cheers for the good review Dan! Glad you enjoyed it. It's always a bit nerve wracking when someone else tries your brew, especially someone who is also a brewer.

I don't have my notes handy, so don't know if, or by how much I missed the FG. It is meant to be quite dry, so I probably fell slightly short of target.

Tropical IPA (20ltr)

Grain bill -
4.5kg Maris Otter
0.3kg Munich malt
0.2kg Oats
0.5kg sugar

Hops -
20g Citra - 15mins
20g Citra - 10mins
30g Citra - 5 mins
30g Citra - aroma steep
100g Mosaic - aroma steep
50g Amarillo - dry hop

Yeast -
WLP001

OG: 1.058-1.062
FG: 1.006-1.010

75min mash @ 64.5°
75min boil

Thanks for posting the recipe - really interesting as this is the 2nd brew I've had in recent weeks that made me question my opinion on Citra as I'd got more dank/catiness from it when I'd tried it before but your brew and an excellent Citra cask ale from a local small brewery (Caveman Brewery) makes me think I need to try it again.

Also interesting to see that you had a big steeping hop addition. Did you do this at flame out or chill down a bit first?

I was really splitting hairs with the feedback about the FG as it was an excellent brew that I , and I think most on here, would be proud of - and looking at your recipe with the mash temp & sugar I doubt that the FG was high. Do you know how many IBUs it had?

As it happens the FG on the AIPA I bottled on friday was a couple of points higher than I planned for :lol: but having just tested for carbonation in the corny its pretty good.

I steeped at 79° for 30 minutes. It takes about 2 minutes to reach this temp from flame out. The IBU target was 35.

I bottled my hefeweizen yesterday. The recipe stated only 1 week in the FV, then bottle at 3 volumes of CO². Slightly wary with your bottle as I've never used crown caps before, especially with a highly charged brew inside. I'm sure it'll be fine. Never had a bottle bomb yet!

hi dan,

I have a selection of kits and all grain, pm me and I will send you a list through and then you can decide on which you would like to try.

cheers

Big D 2657

I steeped at 79° for 30 minutes. It takes about 2 minutes to reach this temp from flame out. The IBU target was 35.

I bottled my hefeweizen yesterday. The recipe stated only 1 week in the FV, then bottle at 3 volumes of CO². Slightly wary with your bottle as I've never used crown caps before, especially with a highly charged brew inside. I'm sure it'll be fine. Never had a bottle bomb yet!

Sounds like you nailed your TIPA if your target IBUs were 35 :thumb:

Hope you didn't have to buy crown caps especially - I'm not worried about getting my bottle back, but thought you may want your swing top returned in another swap as I know how quickly they can dissappear when you swap or give some away. I'm sure the bottle will be fine and if its gonna blow it will hopefully be whilst jostling around in the post van :lol:

Am i right in thinking that a hefeweizen is best drunk very young? If so I can send you the IPA soon to finish carbing/conditioning at yours

Yeah. Best drink between 2 weeks and 2 months apparently.

I was more than happy to swap again. Your APA was inspiring and intimidating at the same time. Just post whenever you're​ready, no rush.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back