Question about dried fruits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jalo

Reaction score
For wine, what preservatives in dried fruits are best avoided, and which can be washed off or dealt with in other ways?

What about sulphur dioxide and potassium sorbate?
Is residual sorbate an issue? My initial thoughts were no but I've changed my mind to maybe, lol.

Added to wine as a fermentation stopper at a rate of 1/2 teaspoon (1g) per gallon/4.5L, equating to 0.02%

In dried fruit the maximum level is 2000mg/kg or 0.2%, which would dilute down to 0.04% in 4.5L if you used a kilo in a gallon. Still more than using sorbate as a fermentation stopper.
Now how much is still active?? It was added to prevent microbial growth. If you rinse the fruit first, how much remains?. The figures assume maximum usage which would only occur on susceptible fruits such as plums/prunes that have a high yeast loading or on partially dried / rehydrated (soft) fruit.

Now add yeast nutrient and a 5g packet of EC1118 dried yeast, a fast starting yeast, may be too many yeast cells for remaining sorbate to affect.

So hence maybe.

So, just rinse in boiling water and it should be OK?
Maybe. It depends. Non committal.
Like most things, "I've always done it and it was OK". Until that 1 occasion when it doesn't. If it happens early in your attempts you're put off doing it, if it works no problem.

Personally, I would use thoroughly washed dried fruit.

Back