question about priming sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purewhitesnow

Reaction score
Following on from my first post as a newcomer, I am about to bottle my Wilko classic lager and just have a question about the amount of priming sugar to use as I am a little confused.
The kit instructions say to use a max 85 grams for my 23 litres (if batch priming). I have used the priming calculator on here and it suggests approx 150-160 grams for a lager.
(based on a brewing temp of 20C)
Whilst I know this is not a true lager I am just wondering what is the right amount of sugar to use to ensure a good level of carbonation for the bottles.
Secondly, I have purchase some carbonation drops which suggests using 1 drop per 375ml or 2 per 750ml - I will be using 500ml bottles so is it best to use 1 or 2 drops per bottle?
Not sure if I will use the drops but just wondering what would be best for 500ml bottles.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks

If you are intending to put your 23 litres of lager into a PB then use a maximum of 90g of table sugar. But lagers are not really best kept in PBs due to their pressure limit so I suggest you use bottles. And in that case you can add more table sugar, anywhere between 125g (2.2 vols) to 170g (2.7 vols), and the lower the temperature you intend to serve your lager the more sugar you probably need in this range. I have no real experience of carb drops.

Thank you Terry, I am going to use bottles and serve it really cold so I will go for around 160g when batch priming thanks for your advice

Latest posts

Back