Question for robobrew users

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Have done 2 brews with my robobrew now, and found the process works really well. However both mashes have started too cold as I didn't set my strike temperature high enough. Just wondering what people use as a strike temperature if for example aiming for 65degC with 5kg grain.

I've started using brew father which can calculate strike temperature so it anyone has experience with that it would be interesting to hear too.

Thanks

My 45-litre brewer suggests to set the strike temperature three degrees high initially and then set it to the actual temp required. But it will vary with the grain and water amounts.

Not using a Robobrew...just a picnic cooler...I heat my strike water to around 77c and dough in "room temp" grain...I get 65c or there abouts after taking my time..

Thanks everyone, I'll try a few degrees higher next time and see how I get on.

Thinking about the mashing process, if I'm aiming for 65degC but only hit 63degC and it takes a while to get up to 65degC, would upping the temp to 67degC for the same time help to give the right mixture of fermentables and less fermentables? Or is it not that simple.

When you add the grain, the water temp drops by two degrees. So heat the water to 67 but drop the setting back to 65 when you add the grain.

Surely the point of an automated system is just that...it's automated...so it doesn't matter what temp you add the water as the unit will sort it out and start the mash cycle when the set point is reached.

Surely the point of an automated system is just that...it's automated...so it doesn't matter what temp you add the water as the unit will sort it out and start the mash cycle when the set point is reached.
Was thinking that my self I thought it removed the guess work

It must take all the "fun" out of brew day...dicking around with thermometers and alternate jugs of hot and cold water...to get it exactly right...incase your head falls off..

Brewers friend app suggests I heat my strike water to about 5 degrees higher than I want my mash. However, this varies depending on the temperature of my grain, so different times of year it changes. I have a greater differential in temperature in the winter to the summer as my grain is already warmer in the summer.

As Clint says I think it's part and parcel of nailing your mash temperature, you have to get proficient at juggling the jugs (so to speak) of hot and cold water to get the mash just right.

Dough in with about 0.5 litre of water less than required, give it a good sir and wait a minute. Take temperature then adjust accordingly with cold water or boiling water to reach required mash temperature.

Of course, if you have one of those fancy recirculating mash all-in-one jobbies, you don't get to enjoy the juggling.

I agree the robobrew will sort out the temp, but it takes a bit of time to do that. So it could take 10-15mins to correct the temperature. Being new to mashing I'm not sure what the 15mins at say 63degC will do when aiming for 65degC.

Agree it is a bit of trial and error, just interested in others experiences using the same kit.

I have a all in one brewer I just set it to the desired temp and put the grain in at room temp the thermostat does the rest. I might be out of order here but some people may be looking to deeply. I've done loads of brews from NEIPA to simple single hopped beers not had a problem yet. I bought the all in one to take the guesswork out of the brew day.

It does

I have a all in one brewer I just set it to the desired temp and put the grain in at room temp the thermostat does the rest. I might be out of order here but some people may be looking to deeply. I've done loads of brews from NEIPA to simple single hopped beers not had a problem yet. I bought the all in one to take the guesswork out of the brew day.
Nothing wrong with stating an opinion. Everybody does things differently and as long as you are happy with your process that's what counts.

I'm just trying to see what others do and use that to experiment and decide what I want to do. I'll be brewing today and will start with a temp 3degC higher than wanted mash temp, and see how that works for me.

I use an app called birrapps for a lot of my brew day stuff. It has a mash temp calculator which takes the mash thickness, desired temp and grain temp and gives you a strike temp from there. It's never steered me wrong tbh.

Also handy for its hydrometer adjustment which seems to be accurate too.

Easy way to do it start off on manual, if you are mashing at 67 C set the manual to 67 for 5 minutes when that temperature is reached stir in your grist reset to auto set boil and mash temperature and let the unit do it itself. The reasoning is this on manual you can set it to maximum power to reach strike, on auto drop power to 1,500 to 1,700 watts for mash this will prevent the sugars sticking to the bottom. ramp up on boil and away you go.

RGeats, the best bit of advice here is from Brewnaldo. Hitting your mash temp will depend on many factors like water:grain ratio, grain temp and even the mash tun itself.
I've just started using a Brewzilla/Robobrew myself and it's taken a little tweaking with Beersmith inputs to ensure I hit the mash temp I'm going for. After a while you'll get to know your system and it won't be a problem.

Hi RGeats

I agree the robobrew will sort out the temp, but it takes a bit of time to do that. So it could take 10-15mins to correct the temperature. Being new to mashing I'm not sure what the 15mins at say 63degC will do when aiming for 65degC.
... in principle, having your mash at that slightly lower temperature during that time will slightly favour beta amylase (over alpha amylase), for slight longer, which may make the wort you make slightly more fermentable (see there for more info (link)) ... but, in practice, mashing is a complex "balancing act" of temperatures and durations, and having your mash take a little while to "stabilise" at your chosen mash temp, will probably have less impact on the final wort than just how "stable" your robobrew will maintain the mash during the rest of the mash duration and how accurately calibrated the temperature sensor of your robobrew is at your chosen mash temperature :?:

Agree it is a bit of trial and error, just interested in others experiences using the same kit.
... and it looks like you've got a number of alternative methods to try, but since the robobrew will sort out your mash temp for you, whatever you decide to do about strike temp, I'd suggest you choose which approach to adopt more on what suits you, what fits best into your brewday, rather than fretting about every minute when the readout isn't your chosen mash temp athumb..

Cheers, PhilB

Brewing yesterday with my robobrew I had a bit if a nightmare with mash temps, aiming for 66 it ranged from 61 to 70!

Didn't seem to calm down and settle as it usually does.

My normal routine is to add the grain at a strike temp of 70 but have the unit set to 66, once I'm done mashing in the temp is normally about right.

It looks like the robobrew is massively overshooting when heating then waiting too long when the temp drops. Not sure if it uses a PID type algorithm?

I'm sure that I will have beer no matter what 😁

Why not set it up with just water and see what happens? Maybe the grain was interfering with circulation?

Latest posts

Back