Question for robobrew users

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea, my set up is maybe a bit different to some as I don't use the overflow pipe. I block it on the bottom plate with a bolt so I have a mash basket without overflow.

Don't have any flow issues though, so don't think this will make a difference.

I'll have a play tonight and see how it holds temp with water.

Hi RGeats

... in principle, having your mash at that slightly lower temperature during that time will slightly favour beta amylase (over alpha amylase), for slight longer, which may make the wort you make slightly more fermentable (see there for more info (link)) ... but, in practice, mashing is a complex "balancing act" of temperatures and durations, and having your mash take a little while to "stabilise" at your chosen mash temp, will probably have less impact on the final wort than just how "stable" your robobrew will maintain the mash during the rest of the mash duration and how accurately calibrated the temperature sensor of your robobrew is at your chosen mash temperature :?:

... and it looks like you've got a number of alternative methods to try, but since the robobrew will sort out your mash temp for you, whatever you decide to do about strike temp, I'd suggest you choose which approach to adopt more on what suits you, what fits best into your brewday, rather than fretting about every minute when the readout isn't your chosen mash temp athumb..

Cheers, PhilB
Thank you for the comprehensive reply.

Mashed in at a temp of 68degC yesterday and by the time I'd finished was at 65degC so seemed to work.

So to recap all in one mash..
The preferred method...?
Add water,set mash temp,dough in at mash temp,wait for temp to come back to set point,start mash schedule.
Or..
Overshoot mash temp,dough in,then hope your temp adjustment works,reset mash temp,wait for temp to drop...

The preferred method...?
Add water,set mash temp,dough in at mash temp,wait for temp to come back to set point,start mash schedule.
Or..
Overshoot mash temp,dough in,then hope your temp adjustment works,reset mash temp,wait for temp to drop...
Preferred method is somewhere in between the two. Then you don't have to wait for the temp to drop or rise!

I am on brew 9 with my Robobrew. It has been a journey of learning. I get my strike water to 69 deg and mash in and leave the setting at that for the mash. My Inkbird thermometer measures 65 deg plus or minus a deg or so. So the Robobrew may be a bit out I don't know. But mash goes ok now. I use my Robobrew in manual mode as happy with this as is gives more control. Brewed kits years ago and went diving in to all grain with Robobrew last October. Extremely pleased with it and the results. But each to their own. It's all about enjoying your brewday and of course, the beer😁🍺

One of the best purchases I made for the all in one is a jacket to go round it to keep a stable temperature. Quite reasonable price on AliExpress and the Brewzilla one fits my boiler really well.

I'm using a Klarstein all in one, so it may be different but I just set mine at my desired mash temperature (with the malt tunnel in) and then add the grain. Don't actually see much of a temperature drop (although I'll look closer in future). I've done around fifty brews with it so far and have settled on mash temp for most brews at 66-67 degrees.

The preferred method...?
Or..
As long as the dough in is over 60 C it doesn't really matter, my BM refuses to carry on until I have doughed in at 40 C, because it is German probably set for under modified Pilsner malts.
I will lose a gravity point but that's all. As I mentioned earlier ramp up on manual using maximum power to mash temp. Dough in, set auto mash temp, mash out and boil, takes a few minutes to reach mash temp at low power, press start then retire for breakfast.

Back