Quick and Easy Rhubarb Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wookie Monster

Reaction score
Decided to use up some leftover rhubarb by adding it to Cider. No real plan or recipe here, just making it up as I go along. So far I have:

Apple juice (Lidl, from concentrate)
400g rhubarb, previously chopped and frozen, boiled in just enough water to cover for about 20 minutes, then strained. I ended up with about 350ml of liquid.

The apple juice read 1050 on the hydrometer, so I added enough sugar to the rhubarb liquid to make it the same- around 75g of demerara which I've seen used in rhubarb wine so it should work here.

Put the rhubarb juice in a demijohn with 2L of apple juice, then add the rest gradually as the initial froth subsides. It's been on the go for a couple of days so will see what it ferments out to.

Good luck with your cider.

I put the post below on the how to make Turbo Cider.

It may give you a few pointers for your cider experiments.

I too used Lidl’s apple juice in the recipe.

I’ve made Rhubarb and Ginger TC

I used in 20 litres
2kg of fresh rhubarb. My neighbour has so much of it. When I first saw, I thought it was one of those Himalayan invasive plants.
250g of ginger. I used TAJ crushed frozen ginger, which is available from larger Morrison’s supermarkets. I once put the entire 400g bag into a brew. It turned out too gingery for my taste.
2 Bramley Apples blitzed in a food processor.
1 litre of stewed tea, made from 10 tea bags.
1 tsp cider yeast. I brought a 100g pouch of bigger jugs cider yeast.
1 tsp yeast nutrient.
19 litres of supermarket juice from concentrate.

I stewed the rhubarb on a gentle simmer in 2 litres of the apple juice. Allowed to cool overnight, and then dumped the lot into the fermenting vessel, along with all the other ingredients.

I put the vessel in the cupboard that contains the manifold to my underfloor heating. It has a relatively constant temperature, but I don’t know what it is.

It takes around 2 weeks to ferment. I generally, rightly or wrongly, leave it another week or so to clear down. I then siphon it off the sediment.

I mainly batch prime the end product at 10g of sugar/ litre of TC. However, I have started using supermarket juice and have injected 46ml of juice in a 500ml bottle and siphoning the cider on to this. The sugar in the juice carbonates the TC.

The juice I used had 110g of sugar in 1 litre. So there is 11g in 100ml, which equates to 0.11g of sugar per ml. So 46ml gets me 5.06g of sugar in each bottle.

Watching with high interest, have a load of rhubarb in the freezer and left a lot untouched in the garden earlier this year without picking, now drinking..motivational for next season if its any good!

Opened a bottle of this today. The initial rhubarb flavour comes through quite strongly, but afterwards seems to mellow and it turns into a good flavoured cider. Overall, it's very drinkable but quite strong! Next time I'll probably reduce the sugar content...Consume with caution!

Back