Quick Bit Of Advice Please

Discussion in 'General Home Brew Equipment Discussion' started by Petrolhead, Feb 15, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Feb 15, 2019 #1

Petrolhead

Petrolhead

Petrolhead

I just went to draw if my first pint from my first keg and couldn’t get the quick disconnect on. Having checked both pillars are gas in. Mistake by supplier and unchecked by me, I assume I should degas, swap post and regas?

2. Feb 15, 2019 #2

uDicko

uDicko

uDicko

Assuming they are ball lock cornies?

If so IIRC it shouldn't make any difference as the posts are the same.

I've never tried to draw from the gas in post but I know I can connect the gas to the liquid out.

Sometimes it's a bit stiff and takes a bit of faffing about but it goes on in the end.

3. Feb 16, 2019 #3

chrisbjones202

chrisbjones202

chrisbjones202

Active Member Supporting Member

Degas, swap with sanitised correct post and regas will be fine, I’d run some beer out straight away to clear any air that got in.

4. Feb 16, 2019 #4

peebee

peebee

peebee

Out of Control

They aren't the same. They have subtly different diameters along the post. It doesn't stop you forcing them on, but as you've found, they can be a pig to get back off again.

Swapping the posts would be ideal and the job can be completed without access inside the keg. But performing such a procedure on a "live" keg (full of beer) is asking for trouble, even if it is most unlikely to have trouble (I've got a Corny keg sitting in a corner somewhere that I cannot screw a post back on to). Until the keg is empty, I'd attach a "gas in" disconnect to the beer-line and use that. Apart from the subtle differences in diameters (and colour!) the in or out posts are identical.

5. Feb 16, 2019 #5

foxbat

foxbat

foxbat

They look the same but they are not. The lip on the gas-in post is ever so slightly narrower. You'd need to put the two side by side or use calipers to see the difference. If you force a liquid disconnect on to a gas post it is very difficult to get off to the point of damaging it if it's plastic as I found out to my cost.

6. Feb 16, 2019 #6

uDicko

uDicko

uDicko

Every day is a school day! I think I may need to review the posts on my kegs aunsure....

7. Feb 16, 2019 #7

stz

stz

stz

I agree with others. Use two gas disconnects on this keg until it is empty and then look at changing the post. If you think you'll get heavily into kegs I'd advise having spares of everything on hand. Spares are quite cheap from china on ebay and if they are truly spares you can order them and afford to wait a month or so for them to turn up. I tend to find the seller, see if they offer international postage and then put it through a localised ebay from another country. All those chinese sellers who charge 99p for an item charge 99c on .com instead of .co.uk. You might also get a more favourable price from the canadian or australian ones too.

8. Feb 17, 2019 #8

Petrolhead

Petrolhead

Petrolhead

Thanks for all the advice. In the end I did the degas and replace route but prob swapping the connector was wiser.