Quick Bit Of Advice Please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petrolhead

Regular.
Reaction score
I just went to draw if my first pint from my first keg and couldn’t get the quick disconnect on. Having checked both pillars are gas in. Mistake by supplier and unchecked by me, I assume I should degas, swap post and regas?

Assuming they are ball lock cornies?

If so IIRC it shouldn't make any difference as the posts are the same.

I've never tried to draw from the gas in post but I know I can connect the gas to the liquid out.

Sometimes it's a bit stiff and takes a bit of faffing about but it goes on in the end.

Assuming they are ball lock cornies?

If so IIRC it shouldn't make any difference as the posts are the same.

I've never tried to draw from the gas in post but I know I can connect the gas to the liquid out.

Sometimes it's a bit stiff and takes a bit of faffing about but it goes on in the end.
They aren't the same. They have subtly different diameters along the post. It doesn't stop you forcing them on, but as you've found, they can be a pig to get back off again.

Swapping the posts would be ideal and the job can be completed without access inside the keg. But performing such a procedure on a "live" keg (full of beer) is asking for trouble, even if it is most unlikely to have trouble (I've got a Corny keg sitting in a corner somewhere that I cannot screw a post back on to). Until the keg is empty, I'd attach a "gas in" disconnect to the beer-line and use that. Apart from the subtle differences in diameters (and colour!) the in or out posts are identical.

They look the same but they are not. The lip on the gas-in post is ever so slightly narrower. You'd need to put the two side by side or use calipers to see the difference. If you force a liquid disconnect on to a gas post it is very difficult to get off to the point of damaging it if it's plastic as I found out to my cost.

Every day is a school day! I think I may need to review the posts on my kegs aunsure....

I agree with others. Use two gas disconnects on this keg until it is empty and then look at changing the post. If you think you'll get heavily into kegs I'd advise having spares of everything on hand. Spares are quite cheap from china on ebay and if they are truly spares you can order them and afford to wait a month or so for them to turn up. I tend to find the seller, see if they offer international postage and then put it through a localised ebay from another country. All those chinese sellers who charge 99p for an item charge 99c on .com instead of .co.uk. You might also get a more favourable price from the canadian or australian ones too.

Thanks for all the advice. In the end I did the degas and replace route but prob swapping the connector was wiser.

bit of a bump, found this thread as I try to figure out why my liquid (?) post leaks when I connect the tap. Not something that happened last time I used this keg, but I wonder if I have put the beer tube onto a different post this time... I see from here gas and liquid posts are different, if I had it wrong, would a leak be a potential effect? Also, the plastic disconnect fittings.... Are they different for gas/liquid? I have a bag full of a few of them and I just grab one and use it for whatever I happen to need at the time

try to figure out why my liquid (?) post leaks when I connect the tap.
Sometimes the disconnects can be slightly off size, but also the o-rings can be thin and not make a great connection. You could hook it off, put a turn of ptfe tape around the notch and then put it back. You really only need a tiny amount. Don't fill the notch with a twisted up bit of tape because if you overdo it so it's hard to push on disconnect that could actually tear the o-ring.

bit of a bump, found this thread as I try to figure out why my liquid (?) post leaks when I connect the tap. Not something that happened last time I used this keg, but I wonder if I have put the beer tube onto a different post this time... I see from here gas and liquid posts are different, if I had it wrong, would a leak be a potential effect? Also, the plastic disconnect fittings.... Are they different for gas/liquid? I have a bag full of a few of them and I just grab one and use it for whatever I happen to need at the time
A bit of keg lube or Vaseline on your orings might help? Also I tend to completely strip down the disconnects and give them a thorough cleaning too from time to time.

I got some green o-rings from e-bay and put them on the gas posts so they are easier to identify at a glance - you need 5/8" OD with 7/16" ID with 3/32" thickness

Back