Quick Question. Kolsch - fermenting under pressure

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a bit confused. What's the deal with fermenting under pressure? I've been brewing for over 30 years, have been reading about this on this forum for some time now, and I really don't understand the whole concept.

I am a bit confused. What's the deal with fermenting under pressure? I've been brewing for over 30 years, have been reading about this on this forum for some time now, and I really don't understand the whole concept.

There are threads about this already. If you are interested you could search them. In a nutshell though it allows fermentation at higher temps without off flavours. People use it for quick lagers. Also allows oxygen free transfers (useful for NEIPA for example), and allows natural carbonation, reducing CO2 use and speeds up getting the end product.

It does seem people are using pressure fermentation too much in my view, and without understanding what it does, but it does seem to be a buzzword at the moment.

in this instance the benefit is being able to raise the temps a bit. best practice seems to be to ferment this yeast at 15 or 16c but people have had stalling issues at this temp, so in theory fermenting under pressure means i cant ferment at slightly higher without compromising flavour. i dont and wont bother with of most my brews but its nice to have the option if the brew fridge is full, and the real benefit is the closed system and self cabonation.

Fermentation kicked of nicely at an ambient temp of 17.5c and its sitting at 10 psi this morning. i mistakenly added 200g oats so not sure what im going to get!

Pressure has crept up to 15 psi? I set it against a regular on a carbonated keg at 10 psi Before attaching it yesterday afternoon.

it sat at exactly 10 psi this morning so all good, but just checked in and it’s showing 15psi. Not sure why?

had this issue first time I used so just ended up opening it up fully. this time I need to keep the pressure because of temperature, so will have to keep an eye on it,...but shouldn’t it be set and forget? It’s a blow tie valve.

Should be set and forget.

When you set it to 10psi did you hear gas escaping?

Could it be a bit sticky? You could take it apart after use. Wash it and allow to dry thoroughly, might help. Otherwise I'm not sure why you have seen what you have.

Should be set and forget.

When you set it to 10psi did you hear gas escaping?

Could it be a bit sticky? You could take it apart after use. Wash it and allow to dry thoroughly, might help. Otherwise I'm not sure why you have seen what you have.

its holding at 10 now and I can hear gas. I think maybe last time I turned it up a bit so I didn’t here gas.

day 5, Ive turned Pressure up yesterday to carb it now, but it looks like I’ll be cutting it fine. To get a carbonation level of 2.6 at an ambient room temperature of 21 requires a psi of 31 according to brewing calculators.

That’s a bit close to comfort of the pressure threshold of 35 Of the king keg junior. Currently on 20 psi. Think I may just set it at that and top up co2 the regular way. Do other people take these risks?

day 5, Ive turned Pressure up yesterday to carb it now, but it looks like I’ll be cutting it fine. To get a carbonation level of 2.6 at an ambient room temperature of 21 requires a psi of 31 according to brewing calculators.

That’s a bit close to comfort of the pressure threshold of 35 Of the king keg junior. Currently on 20 psi. Think I may just set it at that and top up co2 the regular way. Do other people take these risks?
The 35psi will be max working pressure won't it, It'll be tested to much higher I would have thought? Maybe Google it, there might be a video showing the King keg junior being tested at higher pressure.

From warnings section

3. Do not apply more than 2.4 bar (35psi) to the tank under any circumstance.

will set it at what ever it is tonight I think.

I was going to try out my beer gun that’s been sting in a box unused for 2 years, as all kegs are spoken for apart from one that’s been prone to infections. I may have to start drinking faster!

after it’s conditioned I could cold crash it and top up pressure before bottling. If I bottle at near zero I should be able to add pressure safely given the low levels needed At that temp.

Latest posts

Back