Quick question - mangrove jack's kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClownPrince

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a mangrove jack's pink ipa kit tomorrow and i wanted to get my yeast starter going today. Looking at the kit though if i open it up that'll be exposing the malt extract. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have a sachet of s04 yeast i could sub in, but i've heard the MJ kit yeasts are particularly good.

I'm not familiar with starters, or MJ kits, but isn't it a dry yeast that performs well if just sprinkled over the wort?
Btw every MJ yeast I used performed outstanding, keeping an S04 on standby is excellent practice but imho not necessary.

The issue is that the mangrove jacks kits are in divided pouches; extract on one side and other bits (yeast, hops and instructions) on the other. Judging from the diagram on the pouch if i open it up it will expose the extract as well as allowing me to retrieve the yeast. I've got all my ingredients for a citra ipa ready to go hence the s04, so doing a switcheroo isn't a problem.

My approach would be: dissolve the extract, add hops according to schedule, cool down and pitch yeast. First 2 steps shouldn't take more than 2 hours(?). The extract should be fine within that time frame.
Unless more experienced brewers have differing opinions?

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve - just follow the kit instructions, you don't need a yeast starter with a kit although re-hydrating the yeast for 30mins before pitching will speed up the start.

You are correct. If you open the pouch to get at the yeast, you can't seal it up again so the malt is exposed.
I only open the package when ready to make the kit and just sprinkle the yeast on the top of the wort. No starter, no rehydration.

I have made the Mangrove Jack's Pink IPA a couple of times now. As others have said, opening the kit to get to the yeast will expose the malt extract.
I have just sprinkled the yeast on top of the wort and never had any issues with fermentation.

Worth drinking this one fairly young once conditioned as the flavour does diminish a bit over time.

Hope yours works out to your taste.

If you really wanted you could get the yeast out. You'd have to find the side that has the yeast and instructions and gently scrape/score it, or poke it with a pin until you could open the side without breaking the inner wall. The yeast packet and instructions should provide a bit of a safety buffer.

Latest posts

Back