Quick question on chilling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisD123

Reaction score
Hi
Planned to make a brew today....trouble is my tap etc that feeds my chiller is frozen solid as its outside. Would I be okay to chill by letting the brew stand in a my sealed fermenting bucket and leaving outside in the cold.
Cheers

Cheers Rod...I have lids with airlocks and lids without the airlock holes...no taps. My garage is cold at the moment...and its very cold at night up here in the highlands...and through the day for that matter...currently have a covering of snow and ice outside

This is the 'no chill' method which a lot of members use. Because the wort stays hotter for longer than when using a chiller you may find that more bitterness is extracted from the hops. Recipes can be altered to compensate for this, often by adding the hops later in the boil.

I made a bohemian pilsner in December and just added each hop addition 15 mins later in the boil before popping the hot wort in a hdpe jerry can and leaving on my doorstep to chill overnight.

It turned out excelent, and I’ll probably no-chill my less hop forward brews in future as it shaved a good hour off my brew day!

Attachments

• C7197062-D9DD-4E8C-A4ED-A0930B33BF5F.jpeg
    C7197062-D9DD-4E8C-A4ED-A0930B33BF5F.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 41
You'll be fine, Just pay note to hop additions. I 'no chill' all my beers.
Makes life easy👍

I had the same problem yesterday @ChrisD123 - took me about 20 mins to unfreeze my tap/hose that goes to the garage. A combination of jugs of hot water and a blow torch eventually solved the problem. My gear was literally freezing over as I was washing it down. Good time to be doing a lager though :cool: Out of interest, where are you in the Highlands? I'm in Caithness.

IMG_4279.jpg

I had the same problem yesterday @ChrisD123 - took me about 20 mins to unfreeze my tap/hose that goes to the garage. A combination of jugs of hot water and a blow torch eventually solved the problem. My gear was literally freezing over as I was washing it down. Good time to be doing a lager though :cool: Out of interest, where are you in the Highlands? I'm in Caithness.

View attachment 40088
hi mate I am on the Black Isle

It turned out excelent, and I’ll probably no-chill my less hop forward brews in future as it shaved a good hour off my brew day!
I started out brewing without a chiller, and although I now have an IC, I only use it on hop forward beers. It does benefit hoppy beers, but with anything more malt based there's no discernible difference IMO

Latest posts

Back