Quick sanity check on recipe - just heading to shop to get the stuff

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinky

Regular.
Reaction score
My neighbor and I have decided to get a quick brew on this afternoon - A Pale Ale style, can you guys just check and make sure it all looks OK?

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Amarillo and Citra

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 22.7 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 23.1 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.050
Efficiency: 68% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5%
IBU (tinseth): 36.1
SRM (morey): 5.66

FERMENTABLES:
4.5 kg - United Kingdom - Pale 2-Row (83.3%)
0.7 kg - United Kingdom - Pilsen (13%)
0.1 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 15L (1.9%)
0.1 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 50L (1.9%)

HOPS:
30 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 27.53
20 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 4.91
20 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.66
30 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
30 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

YEAST:
Default - - -
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med
Optimum Temp: 18.89 - 22.22 C

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Balanced Profile
Ca2: 0
Mg2: 0
Na: 0
Cl: 0
SO4: 0
HCO3: 0
Water Notes:

This recipe has been published online at:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/734400/amarillo-and-citra

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2018-11-17 14:26 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2018-11-17 14:26 UTC

Yeast - the usual US05 Or mangrove Jack m44 - Open to suggestions for others though?

Looks ok to me too. Wouldn't make a special effort for the pilsner malt though, don't think it will add anything. Personally wouldn't use an expensive aroma hop (amarillo) for bittering either, but that may be just me. I'd save the amarillo for additional dry hop and use something like magnum for bittering

Brewstore suggested i change to 200g dextrine malt rather than the crystal since Im using pilsner so went with that. Malt bill now has:
4 Kg Pale
1.2 KG Pilsner
200g Dextrine

I will have 20g of amarillo left so will use that in the dry hop - now what you mean about using it for bittering but then t buy magnum for bittering means wasting some sine I brew that infrequently nowadays aanyway

t buy magnum for bittering means wasting some sine I brew that infrequently nowadays aanyway
I don't necessarily think so. Personally, I mainly use Warrior for bittering, and since I don't want any flavour/aroma from my bittering hops (all the others are late or dry additions) then I keep the bittering hops in the freezer. OK the alpha-acid level is supposed to drop with time, but I've kept bittering hops for a year in the freezer & they still produce pretty much what I'm after.

I don't know your water table, or if you treat your water, but the Mash PH is way too high with the provided recipe link. Based on this, your efficiency will suffer and the beer may have an astrigent off flavour.

I don't know your water table, or if you treat your water, but the Mash PH is way too high with the provided recipe link. Based on this, your efficiency will suffer and the beer may have an astrigent off flavour.
Where are you getting the mash pH from? There aren't any water details as far as I can see??

Last edited:
Where are you getting the mash pH from? There aren't any water details as far as I can see??
Brewersfriend provides an estimate based on the the grain bill. A base malt in distilled water will have a PH around 5.7 which is too high, the linked recipe has no roasted malt or acidulated malt, no mention of lactic acid, which would aid in lowering the PH to the correct range.

Last edited:
Brewersfriend provides an estimate based on the the grain bill. A base malt in distilled water will have a PH around 5.7 which is too high, the linked recipe has no roasted malt or acidulated malt, no mention of lactic acid, which would aid in lowering the PH to the correct range.
I agree they're likely to benefit from some acidification. Can't see the estimated mash ph in the brewers friend links though

Hi - my water is near enough pure water I have never added anything to my water but it is interesting what you say about astringency as I think I have noticed this before. Assuming my water is pure (I’m in scotland any my water comes from a local reservoir, I have posted the water report here before and that when folks said its pretty much pure water), what would I add to lower the Ph? And what Ph should I be aiming for?
In the end I bought a small pack of Magnum hops so changed the hop additions. I ended u with 20g each of Amarillo and Citra at 5 mins and 30g each of Amarillo and Citra at 0 min. I now have 50g of each left, I was going to dry hop with this - would this amount be fine? I got about 19L out of the brew and it looks set to be around 5% ABV

It's next to SRM, did you even click on the link?:roll:
I agree they're likely to benefit from some acidification. Can't see the estimated mash ph in the brewers friend links though
upload_2018-11-18_15-13-2.png

Hi - my water is near enough pure water I have never added anything to my water but it is interesting what you say about astringency as I think I have noticed this before. Assuming my water is pure (I’m in scotland any my water comes from a local reservoir, I have posted the water report here before and that when folks said its pretty much pure water), what would I add to lower the Ph? And what Ph should I be aiming for?
In the end I bought a small pack of Magnum hops so changed the hop additions. I ended u with 20g each of Amarillo and Citra at 5 mins and 30g each of Amarillo and Citra at 0 min. I now have 50g of each left, I was going to dry hop with this - would this amount be fine? I got about 19L out of the brew and it looks set to be around 5% ABV

I'm pretty sure everyones water comes from a reservoir (correct me if I'm wrong), unless you have a well?:laugh8:. Mash PH should be between 5.2-5.5 to get the best conversion & no harsh tannins, dry hopping has nothing whatsoever to do with mash PH. Also, when you say pure, what does that mean? aunsure....

It's next to SRM, did you even click on the link?:roll:
View attachment 16376
:laugh8: its right there in big green numbers at the top - thanks for pointing out so graciously.
I don't use BF myself and was looking mainly on the mash chemisty page.
I'm not sure how useful the estimate is though if it isnt based on the water being used

Don't think so, unless my eyes are playing up again. You just said the estimate was way too high
Here you go, I'll repeat it for you.
I'm pretty sure everyones water comes from a reservoir (correct me if I'm wrong), unless you have a well?:laugh8:. Mash PH should be between 5.2-5.5 to get the best conversion & no harsh tannins, dry hopping has nothing whatsoever to do with mash PH. Also, when you say pure, what does that mean? aunsure....

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-18_16-13-0.png
    upload_2018-11-18_16-13-0.png
    123.4 KB · Views: 64

Latest posts

Back