Quick way to bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chassyp

Reaction score
Ive just made my first brew in years and sold all my gear years ago!! Bugger! Anyway being a make do and mend type chap I made a brew and decided not to buy a barrel straight away rather bottle it! I can then take it away at the weekend and give some away also. I got a great source of bottles locally free. Just help yself she said! Like a whippet I was in that recycle bin. Hundreds of pint Cider bottles for the taking. I checked em at source and then again when steralising them. Only one had a fag end in the bottom great phew!! Anyway left with more bottles to fill than I imagined and a tiny little siphon tube, I decided to use my collapsible camping water container to drain beer into from the fermenter. Once drained the collapsible container with tap can be easily used on a table top to fill the bottles. Not only that, with it being collapsible means that you can give it a bit of pressure encouraging the flow 5 fold. Very3/4 bottle fills you need to sit the container up and let it suck air in. I hope that makes sense and is of some use to someone. :cheers:

When you bottle in an arrangement like that you really need to make sure you run the beer down the side of the bottle, and not straight into the bottom, otherwise you'll get a load of dissolved oxygen and the resulting oxidation will introduce unpleasant tastes.

Great lateral thinking though!

Especially when you let air suck back into it :shock:

Ideally you want a polypin arrangement that collapses pretty much completely without needing to suck air back in.

sometimes slowly, slowly catchee monkey :D

Or just a water carrier with the lid removed at the top (if it has one) or a breather hole inserted. Could even be done with a way of sealing it again...

Was thinking about polypins the other day, good for wine, if you want to prime it, pretty much not an option!

Tim

Latest posts

Back