R.I.P Thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael Nesmith, singer and guitarist for the Monkees, died on Friday from natural causes at the age of 78.

“With Infinite Love we announce that Michael Nesmith has passed away this morning in his home, surrounded by family, peacefully and of natural causes,” his family said in a statement, according to Rolling Stone. “We ask that you respect our privacy at this time and we thank you for the love and light that all of you have shown him and us.”

The Monkees were a pop and rock band that took over the music world from 1966 to 1970.

The original group consisted of Micky Dolenz, Peter Tork, Davy Jones and Nesmith.

https://nypost.com/2021/12/10/monkees-singer-michael-nesmith-dead-at-78/

For others like me that may not know who she was -

Author Anne Rice, best known for her Vampire Chronicles books (including Interview With The Vampire), has died. The news was announced by her son, fellow author Christopher Rice, who said on social media that his mother had died last night from “complications resulting from a stroke.” Rice was 80.

Born to an Irish Catholic family in New Orleans in 1941, Rice’s mother died from alcoholism when Rice was a teenager and her father sent her and her sisters off to a school. When her father remarried, he moved the family to Texas. There, Rice met her future husband, poet Stan Rice, who—as noted in Christopher Rice’s statement—died nearly 19 years ago to the day of Anne Rice’s death.

Rice later moved to San Francisco, studying creative writing in various academic programs throughout the ‘60s and ‘70s. After the two were married, Stan Rice joined her in San Francisco and she gave birth to a daughter, Michele, in 1966, who died in 1972 from acute granulocytic leukemia.

Around this time, Rice got the idea to turn an old short story she had written into a full novel: Interview With A Vampire. It wasn’t published until several years later, in 1976, but her soon-to-be prolific writing career took off after that. Rice published several novels even before returning to vampires, including The Feast Of All Saints, Cry To Heaven, and erotic novels (written under various pseudonyms) like The Claiming Of Sleeping Beauty and Exit To Eden (later adapted into a Garry Marshall buddy-cop comedy that was universally panned, including by Rice herself).

Rice then wrote her first two Interview sequels, The Vampire Lestat and The Queen Of The Damned, with the series eventually spanning more than a dozen titles and ending with 2018's Blood Communion: A Tale Of Prince Lestat. That’s in addition to all of her non-vampire books, like The Witching Hour, Servant Of The Bones, more erotic novels published under a pseudonym, and—notably—a handful of distinctly religious books about the life of Jesus.

In 2005, after a number of health issues, Rice publicly announced that she would only be using her platform as a famous novelist to promote Christianity, leading to the books Christ The Lord: Out Of Egypt and Christ The Lord: The Road To Cana. By 2010, though, Rice (a longtime supporter of LGBTQ and abortion rights) had become disillusioned by organized religion and left the Christian church, saying that “following Christ does not mean following His followers.”

After that, she returned to horror fiction, including the Vampire Chronicles series but also werewolf books like The Wolf Gift Chronicles (and one last sequel to The Claiming Of Sleeping Beauty, for good measure). In the last few years, her vampire books have enjoyed a renewed interest from both readers and production companies, with several movie and TV studios trying to chase the high of 1994's Interview With A Vampire adaptation—which starred Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, and Kirsten Dunst.

Just last year, AMC got the rights to both The Vampire Chronicles and Rice’s Lives Of The Mayfair Witches with the intention of creating an Anne Rice TV universe. As of this summer, Sam Reid had been cast as AMC’s Lestat with Jacob Anderson playing Louis. That should all be kicking off at some point in 2022.

In his social media statement, Christopher Rice said that, while a private ceremony will be held initially for his mother, a “celebration of her life” will be held next year in New Orleans with “the participation of her friends, readers, and fans who brought her such joy and inspiration throughout her life.”

https://www.avclub.com/r-i-p-interview-with-a-vampire-wrtier-anne-rice-1848201926
1639335875563.png

For others like me that may not know who she was -

Author Anne Rice, best known for her Vampire Chronicles books (including Interview With The Vampire), has died. The news was announced by her son, fellow author Christopher Rice, who said on social media that his mother had died last night from “complications resulting from a stroke.” Rice was 80.

Born to an Irish Catholic family in New Orleans in 1941, Rice’s mother died from alcoholism when Rice was a teenager and her father sent her and her sisters off to a school. When her father remarried, he moved the family to Texas. There, Rice met her future husband, poet Stan Rice, who—as noted in Christopher Rice’s statement—died nearly 19 years ago to the day of Anne Rice’s death.

Rice later moved to San Francisco, studying creative writing in various academic programs throughout the ‘60s and ‘70s. After the two were married, Stan Rice joined her in San Francisco and she gave birth to a daughter, Michele, in 1966, who died in 1972 from acute granulocytic leukemia.

Around this time, Rice got the idea to turn an old short story she had written into a full novel: Interview With A Vampire. It wasn’t published until several years later, in 1976, but her soon-to-be prolific writing career took off after that. Rice published several novels even before returning to vampires, including The Feast Of All Saints, Cry To Heaven, and erotic novels (written under various pseudonyms) like The Claiming Of Sleeping Beauty and Exit To Eden (later adapted into a Garry Marshall buddy-cop comedy that was universally panned, including by Rice herself).

Rice then wrote her first two Interview sequels, The Vampire Lestat and The Queen Of The Damned, with the series eventually spanning more than a dozen titles and ending with 2018's Blood Communion: A Tale Of Prince Lestat. That’s in addition to all of her non-vampire books, like The Witching Hour, Servant Of The Bones, more erotic novels published under a pseudonym, and—notably—a handful of distinctly religious books about the life of Jesus.

In 2005, after a number of health issues, Rice publicly announced that she would only be using her platform as a famous novelist to promote Christianity, leading to the books Christ The Lord: Out Of Egypt and Christ The Lord: The Road To Cana. By 2010, though, Rice (a longtime supporter of LGBTQ and abortion rights) had become disillusioned by organized religion and left the Christian church, saying that “following Christ does not mean following His followers.”

After that, she returned to horror fiction, including the Vampire Chronicles series but also werewolf books like The Wolf Gift Chronicles (and one last sequel to The Claiming Of Sleeping Beauty, for good measure). In the last few years, her vampire books have enjoyed a renewed interest from both readers and production companies, with several movie and TV studios trying to chase the high of 1994's Interview With A Vampire adaptation—which starred Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, and Kirsten Dunst.

Just last year, AMC got the rights to both The Vampire Chronicles and Rice’s Lives Of The Mayfair Witches with the intention of creating an Anne Rice TV universe. As of this summer, Sam Reid had been cast as AMC’s Lestat with Jacob Anderson playing Louis. That should all be kicking off at some point in 2022.

In his social media statement, Christopher Rice said that, while a private ceremony will be held initially for his mother, a “celebration of her life” will be held next year in New Orleans with “the participation of her friends, readers, and fans who brought her such joy and inspiration throughout her life.”

https://www.avclub.com/r-i-p-interview-with-a-vampire-wrtier-anne-rice-1848201926View attachment 59319

Perhaps I should have written slightly more than my 5 words.. thanks Chippy

Personally I thought Servant if the Bones was quite good as I recall

RIP
Cornish Comedian, Jethro 😥

He had a go at me once in the late 90's in his club near Launceston. My friend had a fight and had a nose bleed, I had a white shirt and had blood all over me from trying to stop it. He called me a little b*stard, I must be 3ft taller 🤣. Told me to get out of his effin club.

Not a fan of his politics but he was a big supporter of Cornwall. RIP!

He had a go at me once in the late 90's in his club near Launceston. My friend had a fight and had a nose bleed, I had a white shirt and had blood all over me from trying to stop it. He called me a little b*stard, I must be 3ft taller 🤣. Told me to get out of his effin club.

Not a fan of his politics but he was a big supporter of Cornwall. RIP!

I was a big fan of his. His jokes are pure filth though!

I don't think all Jethro's material aged well, but he could definitely tell a story. "Train don't stop Cambourne Wednesdays" is a great example

Celebrated radio DJ Janice Long has died at the age of 66, her agent has confirmed.

1640526079103.png

Long, best known as a presenter on BBC Radio 1, Radio 2 and Top of the Pops, passed away following a short illness at home on Christmas Day surrounded by her family.

The mother-of-two's career spanned five decades and she was the first woman to have her own daily show on Radio 1.

BBC director general Tim Davie described her as a "stellar presenter" who was loved across the industry.

Long presented Top of the Pops for five years - again, the first woman to do this - and had a late-night slot on Radio 2.

She was also one of the main presenters of the Live Aid charity concert in 1985.

Long was born in Liverpool and grew up there alongside her brother Keith Chegwin, who passed away in 2017.

Daily Mirror.

1640525926620.png

Gary Waldhorn dies:
The highly beloved star was best known for playing the role of councilor David Horton alongside co-star Dawn French on the television sitcom The Vicar of Dibley.

1641919582286.png

Gary died on Monday, his son Josh confirmed.

“He left behind two grandchildren, Cooper and Bailey, and his son Josh. We all miss him terribly.”

https://worldakkam.com/gary-waldhor...-david-houghton-dies-at-the-age-of-78/637585/

Burke Shelley. RIP. I saw Budgie a few times when a kid. They rocked

1642625534503.png

Tributes have been paid to former Liverpool FC chief executive Peter Robinson, who has died at the age of 86.

Described as "one of the most respected and admired people in the sport", Mr Robinson joined the Reds in 1965 and was chief executive from 1992 to 2000.

The club said he quickly made a close partnership with legendary chairman John Smith and together they focused on their "top priority: winning on the pitch."

By the time of his departure, Liverpool had lifted 28 major trophies during his tenure, including 12 league championships and four European Cups.

Liverpool FC has paid tribute to Mr Robinson, who they said played a "pivotal" role its success over his 35 years at the club.

A statement released from the Reds said: "Robinson provided invaluable support and built the infrastructure around all the managers he worked alongside, from Bill Shankly in his earliest days at the club to Gerard Houllier, with whom he was friends and key in bringing the Frenchman to the club in 1998.

"Always preferring to avoid the spotlight, he was nevertheless one of the most respected and admired people in the sport.

"Robinson passed away on Wednesday morning and the thoughts of everyone at Liverpool FC are with his family and friends at this difficult time."

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2022-01-19/ex-liverpool-fc-chief-executive-peter-robinson-dies

Back