R.I.P Thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Wanted star Tom Parker has died aged 33 after being diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, the band has announced.
The singer told fans in October 2020 that he had been diagnosed with an inoperable and terminal tumour.
His wife, Kelsey Hardwick, also posted confirmation of his death to her Instagram page.
She wrote: "Our hearts are broken, Tom was the centre of our world and we can't imagine life without his infectious smile and energetic presence."

1648657826576.png

Last edited:
Not an Eastenders fan but a great life and career.

I will second that. thumb.

Daily Mail -
'We'll be raising a sweet sherry in her memory'
Heartbreak as EastEnders icon June Brown dies aged 95 after playing chain-smoking launderette manager Dot Cotton in 2,884 episodes of BBC soap opera over 35 years

1649080889173.png

RIP Dennis waterman used to love Minder & The Sweeney.

Dennis Waterman: Minder and New Tricks star dies aged 74
Actor Dennis Waterman, known for his roles in TV shows including Minder, The Sweeney and New Tricks, has died, his family have said. He was 74.
A statement said: "We are deeply saddened to announce that our beloved Dennis passed away very peacefully in hospital in Spain."
He died on Sunday afternoon with wife Pam at his side, they said.
"The family kindly ask that our privacy is respected at this very difficult time," they added.

Born in London and educated at the Corona Theatre School, Waterman began his career in a role for the Children's Film Foundation, after which, at the age of 12, he was invited to join Stratford's Royal Shakespeare Company.
He went on to find fame in his teens in William, the BBC's adaptation of Just William.
He became one of the best-known faces on British television in the 1970s when he played Det Sgt George Carter opposite John Thaw in ITV's police drama The Sweeney.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-61372712

George Cole and Dennis Waterman in Minder
1652032585412.png

John Thaw and Dennis Waterman in The Sweeney
1652032681126.png

Waterman and Thaw with comedy legends Ernie Wise and Eric Morecambe in 1978
1652032728148.png

WOW! Just been through this Thread and read every one of them!

It’s been a sobering read, especially the Dennis Waterman obituary. Which reminded of two sayings:
  1. “Do not complain about growing old. It is a privilege denied to many.” - attributed to Mark Twain
  2. “If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.” - attributed to Micky Mantle.
I like both of the above sayings but, with regard to Dennis Waterman, I have to add “He was no’but a lad at seventy-four!”

R.I.P. Dennis
:hat:

Another Aussie cricketer bites the dust, Andrew Symonds of Pommie extraction died today.

A great loss. I particularly enjoyed his work with Jon Anderson.

When i read your link title I recognised the name but didn't realise he was the Vangelis of Jon and Vangelis -

Blade Runner soundtrack absolutely classic complementing one of the best films of all time
RIP

This man with his compositions really sparked mij love for syntherziser-based music. I once got to see a performance on the Maas river in Rotterdam, complete with a gagantic lasershow and fireworks.

Vangelis: Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner composer dies at 79

Vangelis in 2001

Greek composer Vangelis, who was known for his celebrated film themes for Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner, has died at the age of 79.
He won an Oscar for the stirring score to 1981's Chariots of Fire.
Paying tribute, Lord Puttnam, who produced the film, told the BBC Vangelis had created "a new musical landscape".
US composer Austin Wintory wrote on Twitter that Vangelis "changed an entire era of music".
Oscar-nominated British musician Daniel Pemberton said it was hard to underestimate the colossal impact of Vangelis on modern film music.
"It is also hard to understand how groundbreaking Chariots of Fire was. A period British film with a phenomenal synth score," he added.

Figure caption,
Warning: Third party content may contain adverts
Vangelis's Chariots of Fire theme famously accompanied shots of athletes running along the beach in St Andrews, Scotland, at the start of the film, which was set before the 1924 Olympics.
It went to number one in the US, and later topped the UK's classical singles chart in 2012 after being performed by Mr Bean at the opening ceremony of the London Olympic Games.

Lord Puttnam, who also won an Oscar for the film, said: "I think Vangelis created a new landscape, a new musical landscape, that many other composers have taken advantage of".
He said that when he and his wife first heard the score "every single hair at the back of my neck stood up".
Vangelis was nominated for a Golden Globe and Bafta for his score on Sir Ridley Scott's science fiction thriller, Blade Runner.
'Beautiful and haunting'
Charles de Lauzirika, who produced the 1982 film, said: "His music, not just in Blade Runner, was otherworldly in beautiful and haunting ways I lack the words to describe.

"He created lush dream states I still love getting lost in."
Vangelis's other film credits included The Bounty, Francesco, Bitter Moon, 1492: Conquest of Paradise and Alexander.
The Greek composer once said: "My interest was not to create a symphony orchestra, which I can very easily, but to go further than that and do things that the symphony orchestra can't do.
"And I think that I succeeded to create something like this."
Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis tweeted: "Vangelis Papathanassiou is no longer with us. The world of music has lost the international (artist) Vangelis."
Vangelis pictured in his studio in 1976

Vangelis pictured surrounded by recording equipment in 1976

Vangelis first tasted fame as the keyboardist in the band Aphrodite's Child with singer Demis Roussos in the late 1960s.

He went on to be an acclaimed and ground-breaking electronic solo artist beyond his work in film, making his most recent albums with record company, Decca Label Group.
Its presidents Tom Lewis and Laura Monks said: "The world has lost a genius. Vangelis created music of extraordinary originality and power, and provided the soundtrack to so many of our lives.
"We will miss him enormously. His music will live on forever."
In addition to Blade Runner, the composer was nominated for Baftas for his scores for Missing and Chariots of Fire.
The official Bafta account tweeted that he was a "trailblazing composer" and that its thoughts were with Vangelis' family and friends.
US composer Bear McCreary wrote that he was "A true musical pioneer", saying: "Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner were among the most innovative and influential scores in the history of the medium."

Vangelis was an important part of my growing up. Ground breaking synth and moog sounds. Blade Runner is still one of my top movies. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like… tears in rain. Time to die.
The soundtrack was sublime and perfect. Just re-bought Heaven & Hell, perfect ferry travelling music to lose yourself in. Another sad loss. asad.

Latest posts

Back