RAB Homebrew Competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I would do a chocolate mint stout with spruce tips. Keep a high FG and nice and sweet.

Definitely could work with a west coast IPA and chinook, Columbus and simcoe with spruce. I think I would do something like celebration ale.
https://sierranevada.com/beer/celeb...qSBxyYLyAq9V8sx82oHEKkWtIKStNYuAaAuQ2EALw_wcB
Is everyone just cutting off the bright green tips on your tree, such as these?

20220601_171445.jpg

Is everyone just cutting off the bright green tips on your tree, such as these?

View attachment 69359

I went with the light green soft growth at the end. When you rub it between your fingers it should fall apart easily without any "branch" and smell citrusy.

Well that's what I experienced, but I'm also not a forager

View attachment 69189The tips are currently hardening... (Never thought I'd type that...)

Got a small handful. I don't know about you lot but I have no intention of letting this touch my beer directly. Vodka tincture brought up to 80°C for 15 mins to make sure I've really done a number on any nasties and then add to my base at packaging...
PXL_20220717_182015301.PORTRAIT.jpg

Literally smells of Christmas! Massive citrus taste to it that does not leave. I've been tasting it for and hour!

I managed a third in category, I thought I went big on the spruce, but I think I should've gone bigger!

I think I will have another pop at it next spring see what I can do to improve it.

How did you use the spruce in the end?
I used it in the hopstand. They did say the beer had good spruce flavour so that was probably okay?

I was marked down on the aroma being like “musty spice”. It’s not the aroma I got from the keg or my test bottle but two judges said the same so I’m really not sure what happened.

Latest posts

Back