Racist abuse aimed at football players will it ever stop?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How sad must your life be when you can only get your kicks by abusing someone over the colour of their skin they are not football fans they are twats.

Wilfried Zaha has called out some of the sickening racist abuse he has received on social media.

The Crystal Palace star has revealed he has been sent a series of offensive messages on Instagram from an Aston Villa fan ahead of the Premier League game at Villa Park on Sunday.

Zaha posted several screenshots on his social accounts on the morning of the match, showing someone claiming to support the opposition team sending him racist insults and photographs.

The 27-year-old tweeted the images along with the caption: “Woke up to this today.”

Supporters of both sides have roundly condemned the abuse in the hours before kick-off, sending messages of solidarity with the Palace striker.

The racist messages included a threat to “come to your house” if Zaha scores against Villa, paired with references to the Ku Klux Clan and an image of people wearing white hoods.

West Midlands Police, the force responsible for the area where Villa are based, said it is working to identify the owner of the account.

Crystal Palace Football Club quickly came out in defence of its leading player.

It responded via Twitter : “This is an absolute disgrace and should not be happening.

“We stand with you, Wilf, and anyone else who has to suffer such horrific abuse.”

Aston Villa has yet to issue a club response to the incident, but supporter Stewart Hawtin tweeted: “That is disgusting Wilf. They have nothing to do with my club.

Rob Warner added: “On behalf of rational Villa fans, I apologise. I’d love to say ‘he’s not a real Villa fan’ but to dismiss it like that is to fail to admit it's a problem every club has. Disowning these tw*ts gets us nowhere. Acceptance and education is our only hope. Keep standing tall.”

"Please report them to the authorities. I hope you score today and send us down. I’m appalled. So sorry.”

Zaha previously spoke out in support of the Black Lives Matter movement following the killing of George Floyd, an unarmed black man, by a police officer in the United States.

He shared the joint statement by Premier League footballers: “We, the players, stand together with the singular objective of eradicating racial prejudice wherever it exists, to bring about a global society of inclusion, respect, and equal opportunities for all, regardless of their colour or creed.”

Players, coaches and officials have continued to take a knee in solidarity with Black Lives Matter before the start of every match since English football resumed after the coronavirus lockdown.

Zaha has been named in the starting line-up for the trip to Aston Villa and both teams are expected to continue with the anti-racist gestures.

Article from the Daily Mirror.

It's a criminal offence and the perpetrator should and hopefully will be prosecuted, end of.

And immerse them in permanent impossible to remove black skin dye together with a big yellow streak down their back. :laugh8:

It's a criminal offence and the perpetrator should and hopefully will be prosecuted, end of.

Its been going on for years a prosecution may sort this individual but it wont stop the next moron , social media needs to make it much easier to report this kind of stuff and they need to act faster.

Its been going on for years a prosecution may sort this individual but it wont stop the next moron , social media needs to make it much easier to report this kind of stuff and they need to act faster.

The closest I get to social media are a few brewing forums. The likes of faceache and twater should be made more responsible for the content of their platforms. I know this is probably easier said than done but surely in the 21st century something more could be done.

It won't stop until the platforms require ID verification before allowing you an account, but this would be a nightmare to implement so it'll never happen.

It won't stop until the platforms require ID verification before allowing you an account, but this would be a nightmare to implement so it'll never happen.
The closest I get to social media are a few brewing forums. The likes of faceache and twater should be made more responsible for the content of their platforms. I know this is probably easier said than done but surely in the 21st century something more could be done.

It is time they were forced to do all they can to stop this, I wonder how long it takes from the time someone reports a racist tweet to the time it's taken down, I set it's not minutes as it should be.

It is time they were forced to do all they can to stop this, I wonder how long it takes from the time someone reports a racist tweet to the time it's taken down, I set it's not minutes as it should be.
Trouble is, getting posts taken down doesn't help that much - once the target has read the post the damage is done. It's got to be made so anyone posting is doing so in the knowledge that they have to answer for what they've published.

And they've arrested a 12 year old kid. I was going to say his parents must be so proud, but in all likelihood the kid has learned this from them.

Its disgusting and fueled by the rise of the far right in this country (And elsewhere.)
It could be the child's peers rather than the parents,Whatever it needs stamping out.
Its only a small step to assault and possible injury or even death.

There have been "Alf Garnet" racists in Britain all my 63yrs life but in recent years its taken a turn for the worse,Much worse.!!

I don't think it's just racism. All bullying seems to be worse these days from disabled people to anyone with something different from the perceived "Norm" of the abuser. Even having a different opinion to the pack can be a cause abuse.
One thing the internet has done it has made the world a nastier place it seems. I don't think the majority of nasty things being said would be done so if it were face to face.

One problem is people set up fake accounts just to attack an individual, with no traceable link. Which then leads to phone tracking usage and location to be able to prosecute. I don’t want my usage and location tracking, so turn it all off. But for how much longer will I be able to?

Sadly, it’s mostly small cock syndrome, jealousy and mind games. Cloaked in the mid guided idolism that it’s loyalty to their team. Or just an excuse to attack someone with foul language whilst hoping it’ll help p!$s up a wall higher.

Racism comes in many forms, it's not just about colour. You look at the abuse James mc Clean gets from the English media. Every ground he plays in he is abused. He's had bullets sent to his house, death threats. Regularly abused online on a daily basis. His crime, refusing to wear a Poppy.

Racism comes in many forms, it's not just about colour. You look at the abuse James mc Clean gets from the English media. Every ground he plays in he is abused. He's had bullets sent to his house, death threats. Regularly abused online on a daily basis. His crime, refusing to wear a Poppy.
While that's disgusting I don't think it's racism specifically - sectarian sure, but not racism. He's been abused for an action he's chosen to take rather than for who he is.

I got a load of stick off some woman in a supermarket for not wearing a poppy a few years ago (it's not that I don't wear a poppy, I just wasn't at the time). There are a lot of idiots in the world who get het up over the most minor things.

The Zaha thing, although totally wrong, has been publicised so much because it was a 12 year child involved. Watch a Celtic or Rangers football match any weekend and it is pure hatred yet nothing is said. I'm certain that the clowns in the stands do not even realise what they are singing about yet in Scotland our government brushes it under the carpet so not to upset one side nor the other.

The attempts at trying to fix all forms of discrimination are wrong though. "Black Lives Matter" is just another bad example, surely framing it like that is not the answer, why not "Every life is equal" or something similar. The whole GBLT thing does not do it properly either. Why have a gay pride march or a gay club, that to me is just discrimination the opposite way round.

TThe attempts at trying to fix all forms of discrimination are wrong though. "Black Lives Matter" is just another bad example, surely framing it like that is not the answer, why not "Every life is equal" or something similar. The whole GBLT thing does not do it properly either. Why have a gay pride march or a gay club, that to me is just discrimination the opposite way round.

20160707_allhousesredux.png

While that's disgusting I don't think it's racism specifically - sectarian sure, but not racism. He's been abused for an action he's chosen to take rather than for who he is.

I got a load of stick off some woman in a supermarket for not wearing a poppy a few years ago (it's not that I don't wear a poppy, I just wasn't at the time). There are a lot of idiots in the world who get het up over the most minor things.
It's racism if someone is calling you an Irish *******, or singing songs about the country you were born or live. The same way it's racism to discriminate against the travelling community

Back