Racking off (not the Aussie kind)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marbles82

Reaction score
Are there any other methods for getting rid of all the sediment in the bottles other than racking off or a sediment trap.

I prefer the racking off method but recently tried a sediment trap bag (Which was ery poor i thought)
just got me thinking does anyone use any other methods?

Hi

If you are brewing beer and conditioning in a bottle then the sediment is the dead yeast that you used to carbonate the beer. If you are looking to remove that then you would need to force carbonate using CO2, like keging for example.

If you are doing wine then you can use filter paper and there is a choice of equipment around from home brew stores to help that.

Welcome to the forum and I hope that helps

Thanks for that, i bottle condition the beer and know you will never get rid of all the sediment. used to barrel in a king keg but just prefer to bottle now. was just seeing if anyone have any other methods of thinning out the sediment.

Welcome. :cheers: The best way is to rack to a secondary FV after about a week or so for about another week or so to clear, then rack into another bucket/FV and batch prime. That way you get rid of the trub and dead yeast giving you reasonably clear beer to bottle.

I second what bob says, though I would say that your bet needs to be crystal clear before going in thf bottle. Also some yeasts compact better in the bottle than others, those that compact well are less likely to be disturbed when pouring. Also time helps with yeast compaction.
:thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back