Racking, racking and yet more...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
What need less racking? I've read about people racking wine many times, I know for sure that I'd just get frustrated with the messing about.

WOW seems like a likely candidate but if I'm going to make wine I want to make good wine, would the use of fining agents reduce the number of times I'd need to rack?

Assuming I use finings how many times would I need to rack of filter country wines like peach, strawberry and such ?

Thanks All.

I rack once to clear with wows and wine kits as there's little sediment. If using fresh fruit I will rack about 6 or 7 day's in to the initial ferment to avoid any mould on the fruit floating on the top and then rack again to clear.

Do you use finings?

I do, bought in bulk as I used to run out all the time

1598646403737.png

I have used KwiK Clear for many years.

An outstanding two part fining (gelatin/kieselsol). Brilliant clarity is often achieved in less than 24 hours. Has little effect on flavour and bouquet of the wine. Sufficient for 270 litres.
1598700810771.png

1598700655000.png

What need less racking? I've read about people racking wine many times, I know for sure that I'd just get frustrated with the messing about.

WOW seems like a likely candidate but if I'm going to make wine I want to make good wine, would the use of fining agents reduce the number of times I'd need to rack?

Assuming I use finings how many times would I need to rack of filter country wines like peach, strawberry and such ?

Thanks All.
With country wines like peach and strawberry, I do the first racking when there is a good solid sediment (may be up to an inch - I keep the extra in a plastic bottle while it settles). Second racking when it starts to clear, usually a third when it looks near to bottling. I find it's worth it, because fining and/or filtering then produces a really clear wine, and the flavour of the fruit stays well.

I made some wine with 2 tins apricots which turned out pretty weak and insipid. Next time used 3lb apricots from the greengrocers, and it's got real flavour (not yet bottled).

Latest posts

Back