Racking to a 2nd FV for priming - opinions?

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by David Woods, Aug 22, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Aug 22, 2019 #1

David Woods

David Woods

David Woods

Been talking to the LHBS re bottling equipment and they have told me I should not rack to another FV prior to adding priming sugar solution as I will likely not bring over enough active yeast to carbonate - not suggesting they are wrong of course but most of what I have read says to rack to another FV, add the sugar solution being careful not to stir too much then this enables bottling to various sized bottles I have.

This I had planned on doing as the brew having been dry hopped without a bag has a lot stuff floating about and the thought of adding the sugar solution to that then stirring to distribute seems a recipe for churning up the trub and getting a very very cloudy beer.

Could I please get your thoughts as I am now confused as to what I should do - as always thanks in advance.

crowcrow likes this.
  2. Aug 22, 2019 #2

Ben034

Ben034

Ben034

I think they are wrong and you should proceed as planned. Personally I prefer to add a measured amount of sugar solution to each bottle using a syringe but this is because I find the process more straight forward and less cleaning but definitely not because there will not be enough yeast to allow for carbonation.

I think they may have been suggesting not to transfer to a secondary vessel and then leave for weeks / months as some people do and older brewing literature often suggests. Even then, unless you are lagering at cold temperatures for a number of months, enough yeast will still be in suspension to carbonate.

I would carry on as planned and see what works for you.

3. Aug 22, 2019 #3

David Woods

David Woods

David Woods

Thanks - I am very interested in the syringe method! could I ask - assuming you have mixed the solution to the quantity for a bulk prime, what rate of solution per 500ml bottle do you use.

4. Aug 22, 2019 #4

pms67

pms67

pms67

Senior Member Supporting Member

I simply sprinkle in the dextrose to the FV and wait 5 mins, not even a stir although I am 100% certain I am the only one on here doing it, I’m far too lazy to prime each bottle

5. Aug 22, 2019 #5

pms67

pms67

pms67

Senior Member Supporting Member

And for what it’s worth your lhbs is wrong, don’t worry

6. Aug 22, 2019 #6

Mavroz

Mavroz

Mavroz

Regular.

Yep, they are wrong.
    I transfer my brew onto a Dex Sugar solution in a secondary vessel (bulk priming) every brew before bottling.
    Never had any carbing issues.

WierdFish and dad_of_jon like this.
  7. Aug 22, 2019 #7

the baron

the baron

the baron

Landlord.

I wouldn't be buying anything else from them with that kind of advice. What they should have being saying is how to transfer without getting too much oxygen into the secondary and how to disperse the sugar/solution without doing the same such as racking on top of it. I personally do not do this but use the old measured sugar into bottles as I keg and only bottle whats left usually around 3 bottles.I have even left brews in my FV for 3 weeks and they have still had enough yeast to carbonate granted it may take a little longer than the usual 2 weeks in the FV but what absolute tosh they are talking. To contradict my initial statement we should be trying to support our LHBS wherever possible as we usually get good advice from them not statements that are totally what you expect from a novice

Hoppyland and Brew_DD2 like this.
  8. Aug 22, 2019 #8

Ghillie

Ghillie

Ghillie

Landlord. Supporting Member

They are wrong.

FV > bottling bucket (batch prime is easiest) > bottles.

95% of yeasts will remain in suspension in enough quantities to carb your beers.

A Ferrari salesman isn't always the best driver...

Mavroz likes this.
  9. Aug 22, 2019 #9

davidfromUS

davidfromUS

davidfromUS

Regular.

Yeah, that's messed up. Hopefully, it was just one person telling you that and the rest know what they're talking about.
    1. transfer straight to bottles and add sugar to each. You're still going to siphon whatever particles are suspended into your beer.
    2. siphon to bottling bucket with a hose long enough that it can rest alongside the bottom of the bottling bucket, creating a swirling motion on it's own. Add the sugar/water or sugar/beer solution without splashing. This way you get the sugar mixed in and very little disturbance.

10. Aug 22, 2019 #10

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

Beer designer

There you go. HBF 5 - LHBS 0 clapa

Ghillie and Mavroz like this.
  11. Aug 22, 2019 #11

Brew_DD2

Brew_DD2

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster

They are talking utter a**e. Quite concerning that a business whose focus is on brewing, seemingly has such a poor grasp of how brewing works.

12. Aug 22, 2019 #12

David Woods

David Woods

David Woods

Thank you all for your great info! - just to be fair to LHBS they may well have totally misunderstood my inane ramblings so I will give them the benefit of the doubt - I appreciate all the help.

Dave

13. Aug 22, 2019 #13

chrisb8

chrisb8

chrisb8

Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I batch prime in a bottling bucket but am now also intrigued by the syringe method...

14. Aug 22, 2019 #14

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Oneflewover

Landlord.

This is how I bottle prime. I use the 5ml kids Calpol syringes and multiply 5ml X however many 500ml bottles I am using (typically 40 ish). Make up a sugar / boiling water solution (with however much sugar you want to use) to the 200ml (ish) in a measuring jug. This is a bit of an art, but I've got it nailed. I then blast this in the microwave and squirt 5ml into each bottle with the sanitised syringe. I find it quick and easy, and I feel more confident that I'm not picking oxygen through unnecessary transfer of the beer.

chrisb8 likes this.
  15. Aug 23, 2019 #15

David Woods

David Woods

David Woods

I like the idea of priming with a syringe like this but my memory comes back of my first bottle priming session using carb drops, I started wondering "did I put drops in that bottle - should I add more" then BANG! or flat beer. This is why I think I will do the bulk priming - do it once! - then of course it will be "did I bulk prime that bucket or should I ..."

The joys of getting old and a failing memory bank!!

Rodcx500z likes this.
  16. Aug 23, 2019 #16

Ben034

Ben034

Ben034

I think if you do full 40 bottle batches than bulk priming is probably the most convenient. I tried it for a while but didn't like the extra sanitisation of the bottling bucket and then cleaning it up after along with the fermenter. I do 9l batches so priming 20 or so bottles with a syringe is quick and less messy for me.