Racking to king keg today do I add c02 immediately

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmac

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm racking a miners stout to a king keg today,do I add c02 immediately or leave a few days or indeed just when I intend on drinking

I assume you’ve added priming sugar solution to your stout? If so, put the lid on and leave your King Keg somewhere warm (18-20C) for a couple of weeks to carbonate and naturally pressurise the barrel. Hopefully, you’ll only need to “top up” with CO2 as you drink your beer and the pressure drops.

I assume you’ve added priming sugar solution to your stout? If so, put the lid on and leave your King Keg somewhere warm (18-20C) for a couple of weeks to carbonate and naturally pressurise the barrel. Hopefully, you’ll only need to “top up” with CO2 as you drink your beer and the pressure drops.
I've not added anything yet I'm gonna rack it today not used a keg before

So do I need to batch prime as well as use c02
Yes. The batch priming is to carbonate your beer. This also produces excess CO2 which pressurises your barrel for serving. As you pour your beer the pressure will drop as the volume of headspace increases. Depending on how fast you drink, given time the beer might generate some more CO2 from further fermentation and re-pressurise the barrel. If not, as the pressure drops and the pour slows you will need to top up the pressure with CO2 from a cylinder or bulb/capsule, depending on the type of top your barrel has. Don't leave it until the beer glugs out of the tap when you pour. This indicates your sucking air into the barrel during pouring. This could lead to your beer oxidizing and spoiling.
If this is the first time you've used your King Keg, it's important to check the seals and valves to make sure they're not leaking.

Yes. The batch priming is to carbonate your beer. This also produces excess CO2 which pressurises your barrel for serving. As you pour your beer the pressure will drop as the volume of headspace increases. Depending on how fast you drink, given time the beer might generate some more CO2 from further fermentation and re-pressurise the barrel. If not, as the pressure drops and the pour slows you will need to top up the pressure with CO2 from a cylinder or bulb/capsule, depending on the type of top your barrel has. Don't leave it until the beer glugs out of the tap when you pour. This indicates your sucking air into the barrel during pouring. This could lead to your beer oxidizing and spoiling.
If this is the first time you've used your King Keg, it's important to check the seals and valves to make sure they're not leaking.
The seals are all ok it's a top tap I have a stout in so I used 100g of sugar made into a syrup

Latest posts

Back