Raid on illegal Bolton distillery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than the voting restrictions the Republicans seem to want to implement in your country to suppress the turn out
That nonsense has been going on for decades, at least, and it's monumentally terrifying. It's become more brazen due to our political climate. Some of what we do here would shock the average person if they understood it. Really crazy.

That seems to mean, without further context and taken at face value: people are difficult to oppress/enslave because they have too much knowledge to be controlled to their detriment.
Who knows? Maybe that's dry humor or sarcasm.
Could also mean individuals have been created through knowledge and that sounds like a positive, not a negative. If someone can acquire knowledge, are they also intelligent?

Edit: I was going for a joke in the last paragraph, wife thought it was offensive, so instead of:
"Not that I don't trust every word I read here or on the Internet proper, but without going to get a book or three, I have no idea if what you quoted is true or not."
I use this:
I'm not familiar with that quote.
1637246926019.jpeg

I am guessing you're from Detroit David, given what you have said and your username, I have enjoyed reading your posts and I find it very interesting how were have similar problems in our respective countries and yet, things are still so very different.

p.s. I am a fan of the early techno music from your home town, it also feels similar in vibe and attitude to the music from my home in Manchester. They are both big names in the music scene for sure!

Thanks. I am from Detroit, Michigan, US and grew up less than 5KM from the Detroit city limit.
We do have similar problems, don't we? I think you might get less snow than we do. Also, we don't have enough actual pubs here and that may be the biggest problem.

I have this impression that it is very cool where you live!!

Yes, I blame criminal capitalism asad1

Last winter here was a (seemingly) never ending barrage of cold and snow! Hoping we go back to the typical mild winter, if for nothing else than for those living in fuel poverty, it's so hard when the temps drop below zero, most houses in the UK are not built for this and require an awful lot of expensive heating to keep warm.

I have this impression that it is very cool where you live!!
Yeah, you get used to it. We can get a lot of snow during the winter or not much.
I've met people from the US who've never experienced snow in person.
It's interesting when a winter weather front drops down to states that don't get snow usually. A cm of snow closes down the state pretty much and people are running into each other on the road at a mad rate. In the very south of Ohio, the state directly below Michigan and five hours south by car, they get almost no snow and it's a good thing because there is no way you could drive on a lot of their roads which have crazy inclines.

Let's hope you have a mild winter.

Yeah, you get used to it. We can get a lot of snow during the winter or not much.
I've met people from the US who've never experienced snow in person.
It's interesting when a winter weather front drops down to states that don't get snow usually. A cm of snow closes down the state pretty much and people are running into each other on the road at a mad rate. In the very south of Ohio, the state directly below Michigan and five hours south by car, they get almost no snow and it's a good thing because there is no way you could drive on a lot of their roads which have crazy inclines.

Let's hope you have a mild winter.

Haha yeah we joke about this in the UK too, 1cm snow and the country grinds to a halt.

I have a friend I visit reasonably regularly in Finland, they are the exact opposite, 100% geared up for snow, it's just normal for those guys!

100% geared up for snow, it's just normal for those guys!
I'm sure those folks do it as easily as breathing.
I drove with my mother to church when I was sixteen. The roads were horribly slippery and snowy. She told me EXACTLY what to do, how to do it, when to do it, where to do it. No matter because I slid through three stop signs in a row anyway. Boy was she mad.
I guess I'm saying that there is some trick to it. I've gotten slightly better since.
I have a million snowy/slippery road stories living where I do.

Winter tyres have been here for many years but i don't know anyone who uses them, we rarely get deep snow and salt takes care of the major routes.

I am from Detroit, Michigan, US
I used to go to Detroit quite regularly in the early '90s as a sound engineer with various bands, used to play a lot at St Andrew's Hall. I think the last time I was there we did a gig in a bowling alley, was really good.
Is it still the same with all the empty housing? You could drive for miles and all you would see was derelict and abandoned homes.

Once, coming back from Windsor after a gig in Canada, I rolled up at the booth where they check your passports and the attendee was asleep, lucky really as I didn't have the correct work permit!

I used to go to Detroit quite regularly in the early '90s as a sound engineer with various bands, used to play a lot at St Andrew's Hall. I think the last time I was there we did a gig in a bowling alley, was really good.
Is it still the same with all the empty housing? You could drive for miles and all you would see was derelict and abandoned homes.

Once, coming back from Windsor after a gig in Canada, I rolled up at the booth where they check your passports and the attendee was asleep, lucky really as I didn't have the correct work permit!
St Andrew's is a neat little venue. It sounds like the bowling alley might have been the Majestic.

There's been a push to turn it around in Detroit for about eight years now but there's still a long way to go. The houses have been getting removed slowly so you'll see really long stretches of empty land.

Chippy they should do but the downside would be but the tax the bastards would put on it would make it cheaper for the dealers to keep going.
Because politicians don’t understand that tax rates don’t correspond with tax revenues. The lower a tax is, the less likely it will create a black market, and the lower rate will result in greater taxes collected.

Interesting indeed, David!

I recently watched "Searching for Sugar Man" - so good! If anyone on here hasn't watched it, I'd highly recommend it. An insane true story about an artist called Rodriguez from Detroit!

watched that a few months back. really enjoyed it.
good tunes too. i think ill view it again after seeing your post.

Rodriguez
My wife is familiar with him. She loves going downtown or thereabouts to take photos of murals and has shot around 600--we have A LOT of murals here in Detroit. This mural of Sixto was painted in the last two or three years. It's in SW Detroit in a neighborhood called Mexican Village (an excellent area to visit and to eat if you make your way here). She took this shot about a year ago.
Sixto R..jpg

My wife is familiar with him. She loves going downtown or thereabouts to take photos of murals and has shot around 600--we have A LOT of murals here in Detroit. This mural of Sixto was painted in the last two or three years. It's in SW Detroit in a neighborhood called Mexican Village (an excellent area to visit and to eat if you make your way here). She took this shot about a year ago.
View attachment 58007
That's brilliant! What a class guy he is!

Getting off winter tyres and back to the original post of the distill set up.

HMRC advice is 100% illegal to ditill any form of alcohol. But from a legal point of view no one has ever been to court of charges pressed for producing 50l of less. The general guide line is home production is a bottle a week. Once you get past 150l a year or three bottles a week in a production your off down the road of selling it or distilling for profit.

HMRC loves anyone that distills as long as they get their pound coin at the end of the day. The rules and compliance is reasonable easy to do and simple enough to work. Your more likely to trigger issues with the local council and hygiene inspectors and using pallets is never a good idea in a hygienic enviroment, lol.

But its very easy to buy 1000l tubs of pure alcohol pre done and just add your own flavourings.

Regards the sale of the kit. Most "police auctions" is the sale of stolen recovered kit,or impounded items. Rather than the equipment to break the law with. You can buy a car that was stopped for no tax and insurance but not the tools used to steal it.

That evidence is going to sit in a warehouse from now till the court case. At the end of which its future is decided by the judge. Most opt for " send to destruction" but you can ask the court if theres a good reason. Find out the court details and send a request in offering a donation to charity, or a begging letter to HMRC. Neither is unreasonable and people do get hold of items this way.

There was case in the 1980's when a credit card printing machine was recovered and sold on by the police by auction. It had a legal use as a business card printer or a membership card printer or company security card printing. It was found 12 months later knocking out fake credit cards again on a police raid. Thats stopped the police selling items able to commite crime. It happened close to where i lived at the time and was very embarrissing. Its why you dont see hydroponic systems for sale or grow lights and canabis fume extraction systems for sale on police auctions, add to that, crow bars, battery grinders and skeleton keys and car stealing equipment, used shot guns and knives ect. If someone was stopped for driving with no insurance and the van was full of hydroponic equipment and the driver gets pinched, unless he can prove ownership of the load. The van and load go to auction. Stripped out of a live house all the kit goes to the scrap bin.

Latest posts

Back