Rained offf work, hmm what shall I do?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapbrew

Junk and disorderly
Reaction score
Use the time productively and get some brews on, why not indeed!

First I wanted to try and recreate my last brew which started out great the first two or three weeks then it really changed in taste, but I think I've figured out why.
The yeast I used was cropped from two previous brews one which had lager yeast in and it is slowly changing the beer to a lager, it is still very nice but not the beer it started out as. After this I started off some more Turbo Cider as my stocks are dwindling, some fruity cider for the ladies and some plain cider for me

So the summer quaffing beer recipe:-

800g Maris Otter
326g Unmalted Wheat
50g Flaked Barley
25g Roast Barley
Mash for 1 hour @66C
Boil 60 mins

Hops
5g First Gold @ 60 mins
10g First Gold @ 15 mins
I will dry hop with First Gold too
yeast from local Rebellion Brewery
OG = 1.040

Started at 11 am and all went well until 10 mins into the boil and I realised I had added the 15 mins hops at start of boil, so I scooped what I thought was about half out with my slotted spoon and I'll hope for the best, the rest of the brew went well and I'm letting it settle now for 30 mins before straining and pitching the yeast.

Next up I threw together 2 DJ's of sweet fruity Turbo Ciders, one with Robinson's strawberry and Kiwi barley fruit squash and one with Lowicz raspberry, when they are finished fermenting I will combine them together before priming and bottling to end up with a nice sweet n fruity raspberry, strawberry and Kiwi cider.

3L apple juice (Tesco value)
1L Robinson's strawberry and Kiwi barley fruit squash
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
water to shoulder of DJ
Cider yeast

1 440ml bottle of Lowicz raspberry syrup
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
water to shoulder of DJ
Cider yeast

Then for myself I did a plain TC
6L of apple juice (Tesco value)
1tsp pectolase
water to 8L
Cider yeast

Happy days! :thumb:

You luck bugger Chug.

Any reason why you didn't ad YN to the plain cider?

Also, Where is classed as the "shoulder"? I've gotten hold of 7 Kilner DJs (actually 8, but I wiped one out in the car) and I don't know where the shoulder would be on it.

It's this kind, where would you class as the shoulder, top, middle or bottom?

kilner dj.jpg

You luck bugger Chug.

Any reason why you didn't ad YN to the plain cider?

Also, Where is classed as the "shoulder"? I've gotten hold of 7 Kilner DJs (actually 8, but I wiped one out in the car) and I don't know where the shoulder would be on it.

It's this kind, where would you class as the shoulder, top, middle or bottom?

I would say it's the 'or this one'

I think they do.

You can top the demi up slowly after the first mad fermentation. That or you need a blow off tube.

The shoulder as I see it is "or this one" later I top up to the top of the neck with water when the vigorous primary ferment is done otherwise it's climbing out.

I didn't add nutrient to the plain one as this was all unplanned and I ran out of it, it'll be fine though.

The raspberry one is stronger than the squash one but when the two are mixed it's just right for the missus, the daughter prefers the squash one on its own and her bessie mate prefers the lowicz version, so I bottle each on their own for them.

You can leave the pectolase out, but I found it helps with quicker clearing.

After experimenting, I don 't add tea or tannin powder these days either, I find it gives a better mouth feel, not so furry on the tongue
also ditched any acid and glycerine additions too, I like to keep things simple.

Use the time productively and get some brews on, why not indeed!

First I wanted to try and recreate my last brew which started out great the first two or three weeks then it really changed in taste, but I think I've figured out why.
The yeast I used was cropped from two previous brews one which had lager yeast in and it is slowly changing the beer to a lager, it is still very nice but not the beer it started out as. After this I started off some more Turbo Cider as my stocks are dwindling, some fruity cider for the ladies and some plain cider for me

So the summer quaffing beer recipe:-

800g Maris Otter
326g Unmalted Wheat
50g Flaked Barley
25g Roast Barley
Mash for 1 hour @66C
Boil 60 mins

Hops
5g First Gold @ 60 mins
10g First Gold @ 15 mins
I will dry hop with First Gold too
yeast from local Rebellion Brewery
OG = 1.040

Started at 11 am and all went well until 10 mins into the boil and I realised I had added the 15 mins hops at start of boil, so I scooped what I thought was about half out with my slotted spoon and I'll hope for the best, the rest of the brew went well and I'm letting it settle now for 30 mins before straining and pitching the yeast.

Next up I threw together 2 DJ's of sweet fruity Turbo Ciders, one with Robinson's strawberry and Kiwi barley fruit squash and one with Lowicz raspberry, when they are finished fermenting I will combine them together before priming and bottling to end up with a nice sweet n fruity raspberry, strawberry and Kiwi cider.

1L Robinson's strawberry and Kiwi barley fruit squash
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
water to shoulder of DJ
Cider yeast

1 440ml bottle of Lowicz raspberry syrup
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
water to shoulder of DJ
Cider yeast

Then for myself I did a plain TC
6L of apple juice (Tesco value)
1tsp pectolase
water to 8L
Cider yeast

Happy days! :thumb:

Hi Cheapbrew, Im really tempted to make your fruity TC.

How much Cider Yeast do you add to each DJ?

Also, Wilko sell Express Wine Yeast Compound, can I use this, or is wine yeast compound different to cider yeast?

Latest posts

Back