Rajas Reward - stuck ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bungling Brewer

Reaction score
Hi.
I see this is a common thread. Rajas reward ferments in 10 days to 1020 then stops but the instructions say it should be 1008-1014. I see several questions on the site and lots of very useful suggestions but little feedback from fellow brewers as to what the results were. I've just given mine a gentle stir and a brewbelt. I'll check it again in a week.

Have you had this problem, what did you do and did it work ?

Thanks

BB

Hi.
I see this is a common thread. Rajas reward ferments in 10 days to 1020 then stops but the instructions say it should be 1008-1014. I see several questions on the site and lots of very useful suggestions but little feedback from fellow brewers as to what the results were. I've just given mine a gentle stir and a brewbelt. I'll check it again in a week.

Have you had this problem, what did you do and did it work ?

Thanks

BB
I would go back after a couple of days and take another reading. If its gone down fine. If not, more intervention might be needed as it may well be stuck.
Since you haven't told us your fermentation temperature set point, sometimes raising the temperature 2/3*C seems to have some success. Other ideas in here
Simple strategies for dealing with stuck fermentations

Hi. Thanks for the response. The temperature is a fairly constant 18, perhaps 19 degrees.I've stirred it and added the brew belt to raise the temperature. I'd add some more yeast but am isolated so not able to nip out and get some but I did freeze the bottom yeast from my last brew (Bure Gold) so am considering adding some of that.

Now day 15. gravity down marginally 1.018 . Taste was OK - although a little sweeter than i would have hoped so I decided to bottle it. Nice colour.

Now day 15. gravity down marginally 1.018 . Taste was OK - although a little sweeter than i would have hoped so I decided to bottle it. Nice colour.
Hi. I had a similar situation. Temp was controlled to 21 c. Started OK (very exciting since was my first ever)but at day 4 or 5 bubbling dropped to depressing levels. I gave it a good stirring when added the hops (day 5) and density continued to drop but at a very low pace. Bottled at day 12. Had no option but to bottle at 1015. Not much hope in my spirit, still tasted great, a bit weak for an ipa. After 10 days in the bottle it turned out great, and for the lively spirit resulting of a 2 pint tasting, I guarantee it has alcohol!!
Conclusion: I guess the yeast is slow and delicate... may be I deactivated it somehow.
Retrospective review. I did not stir vigorously before adding yeast.
I did not take a density reading the first day. So I do not know the actual alcohol content.

Tastes great and has a nice hoppy flavour. Aroma is very weak, but nice.

Hi. Many thanks for your experience with this. My batch is now doing time under the dining table where it will stay for another couple of days if SWMBO lets me get away with it before moving it to the garage. Luckily she likes the Bure Gold I brewed last time.

If you have some spare time at the moment, I've done the free brewing course from University of Leuven - see
Beer: the science of brewing
It says it takes several hours per week but having skipped some of the chemistry I wouldn't remember anyway and certainly couldn't do the testing for, it took me 3 sessions of 2 or 3 hours. Very interesting indeed.

Done this recently bottled last week after 4 or 5 weeks in fv had it stuck at 1020 tried a few things stir added sugar solution took off again only to be still stuck so just bottled any way sampled a bottle yesterday and had no bad or dodgy flavours so should be ok

Done this recently bottled last week after 4 or 5 weeks in fv had it stuck at 1020 tried a few things stir added sugar solution took off again only to be still stuck so just bottled any way sampled a bottle yesterday and had no bad or dodgy flavours so should be ok
Let me know the outcome, mine is only getting better; fresh, hoppy, the right bitterness. Awsome. Already ordered a new pack.

Although it's only been in the bottle a week, I put a bottle in the fridge for a few hours and sampled it. A bit of a haze but it tasted very nice. Only 3.5 ABV but I don't think it will need to be preserved for long. :cool:

I just made this same kit and ran into the same problem. I am somewhat surprised because Bulldog seem to be a decent bunch and these are premium kits - all LME and a generous amount of yeast compared to cheaper kits e.g. Woodfords?

I got OG 1046 brewing to about 22L I think. Seemed to go fine but not bang on 1020. I stirred it all but a week later no difference. I run a temp-controlled brew-fridge and have done dozens of brews and this is only the 2nd time I've had one stick, and never so badly.

It tastes fairly bitter and I would love a nice 3.5% beer but I'm dubious it won't get crazy in the bottles left over time if it continues to ferment... Or that it won't bottle ferment at all.
When I took my sample there was clearly a nice amount of CO2 as it got a decent head, so I guess keeping that can help.

Best to just bottle it and keep an eye on it? My other concern is the teabag thing went in already and I don't want to lose that addition.

Well 3 weeks in bottle and I find its turned out fine meaning no off flavours or anything I can complain about but I'm getting no bitterness at all just a mild flavoured beer no strong hoppy flavour but a drinkable beer, I do like a bitter or strong flavour cant say I would justify the money on this kit but that's just my taste I suppose

Hi. Thanks for the response. The temperature is a fairly constant 18, perhaps 19 degrees.I've stirred it and added the brew belt to raise the temperature. I'd add some more yeast but am isolated so not able to nip out and get some but I did freeze the bottom yeast from my last brew (Bure Gold) so am considering adding some of that.
Freezing yeast can split the cell walls and kill it. Was it just yeast.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
I read that yeast was not so simple as I thought it might be so didn't use that.
Like Labrewski, I'm not too concerned about getting a strong beer, I just want the sugar to be used up. It was very interesting that MisterBoy had exactly the same experience although I should point out that the Woodforde's kits now come with two sachets of yeast and the last two I made ( Bure Gold and Admiral's Reserve) went like trains and were completely fermented in no time. I've drunk most of the Bure Gold and the Admiral awaits my pleasure in the garage.
Cheers
BB

Hi. Back to this. Humans can t help making the same mistake twice. I bouthg another kit because I loved my 1016 density first one. Nice, hopy, and the first one ever.
Fermentation started OK, vigorously (22.3 degrees since we are in spring), now, day 3 bubbling dropped drastically at 1018. Lets hope this time I get it to really drop.
I made a couple of other kits since the last Rajas Reward (Coopers IPA and Bulldog Bitter) and fermentation was another thing, bursting, vigorous, loud. My fingers are crossed while I wait for the sloooooow Raja's.

Usually I think changing a yeast supplied with a beer kit is not worth it or is unnecessary, but perhaps this is one of those kits where it is worth it if you want to end up with an FG a lot closer to what you would normally expect.

Update.
After 23 days in fermenter I achieved 1010, pretty decent. I dry hopped with the provided hopes plus 25 g of citra. Bottled today, very promising.

Conclusion: this kit is slooooow. Just keep it at 22-23 and you will end up with what is expected.

Saludos

Francisco

Update. 23 days, the right density but I had to throw down the sink the 26 litres. It got contaminated with something. I'll go for fast fermenters in the future.
Beer tasted like worn out leather and wet wood. Foam just kept bursting. Awful. One possible source: the tap in the fermenter; it has small spaces where. Old yeast or hops can remain.

Update. 23 days, the right density but I had to throw down the sink the 26 litres. It got contaminated with something. I'll go for fast fermenters in the future.
Beer tasted like worn out leather and wet wood. Foam just kept bursting. Awful. One possible source: the tap in the fermenter; it has small spaces where. Old yeast or hops can remain.
How often did you open it to check? If you sanitise the tap shouldn't be an issue - I never get too stressed scrubbing. But it's easy to breath into your beer :)

Sorry to hear you lost your batch.

Back