Ramming random bottled fruit juices in a demijon with yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi guys :thumb: ,

Any ideas of what would happen? As I'm seriously considering trying it!

Anything... orange, apple, pear, grape, passionfruit, any mixed juices.. Then just putting some yeast in, stirr it up, leave it in my airing cupboard and see what happens!

Has anyone done anything remotely like this before? -- and if so, how were the results? :wha:

Before I try it - any suggestions of the best way of going about it?

Cheers guys! :cheers:

crE

Just start with 4.5L apple juice in a demi with a pack of youngs cider yeast, that'll give you a 6% basic Turbo Cider then play around by substituting say 1L with some cranberry juice or whatever ;)

Ah, I've got a little turbo cider on the go (3L) at the moment, with mainly apple but a bit of pear and other juices too.. will see how that goes and let you know :D

Cheers!

often wondered about this myself and i can't think why it wouldn't work. the main one i reckon could be significantly different is orange wine. The recipe i follow for orange wine uses zest from about 1/4-1/3 of the oranges (if my memory is right). juices like tropicana don't taste zesty to me at all, but some cheaper cartons do have a zesty flavour. I reckon the oils from the zest considerably add to the finished product because they add a almost liquer like texture to the wine, not to mention a fresh flavoured zestiness. something to watch out for could be pectin in the cheaper cartons, or too much pith being in the juice. The latter may give the wine a bitter taste.

it does seem to me that using juice in cartons is essentially simply letting the juicers do the extraction for you, and paying them for it of course! you might need to check ingredients carefully to see if any stabiliser/preservative has been added as this could stop you yeast from getting started. i remember opened cartons of juice fermenting by radiators at school tho, but cant vouch for how they would have turned out as a wine as the mould was kind of off-putting :rofl:

Back