Raspberry Pale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MackemBrew

Reaction score
Looking to brew a raspberry pale ale similar to Fierce Beers, Cranachan Killer. This seems to be a bit of a niche in that the majority of raspberry beers I have seen tend to be wheat beers.

Keen on going trying to bring a slight biscuity taste from the malt and a small amount of lactose to sweeten it up ever so slightly. Any thoughts on hop additions that could be used etc? Im thinking maybe mandarina bavaria for a subtle citrus tone.

Anyone brewed anything similar to this?

Cranachan Killer is a cracking beer. I have seen raspberry pale ales on YouTube. Just about to brew my first wheat beer and debating whether to add raspberries or not

From reviews seems that it is an oat pale ale with little hoppage. I did an experimental zBelgian cherry pale whuch us ok and used old saaz for the bittering (old hood was something I'd read about. Also looks like your brew needs honey and lactose.

I brewed a raspberry blonde (more of a brunette) with Columbus and Cascade that was pleasant, but too tart. I think the additional lactose would be a good idea to sweeten it up and balance the beer.

Another thumbs up for Cranachan Killer.

I've got a raspberry oatmeal stout on the go right now - hopped with Mosaic to take it to 28 IBUs. How are you planning to use your rasps? I was trying more for a stout in which you can detect a rasp flavour, so I simply steeped mine for just 30 mins after the boil had finished. OG sample jar tasted decent...

Another thumbs up for Cranachan Killer.

I've got a raspberry oatmeal stout on the go right now - hopped with Mosaic to take it to 28 IBUs. How are you planning to use your rasps? I was trying more for a stout in which you can detect a rasp flavour, so I simply steeped mine for just 30 mins after the boil had finished. OG sample jar tasted decent...
Do you use fresh or frozen raspberries

Well, I was going to use fresh proper Scottish rasps but reading through a few other HBF threads, frozen ones (if you thaw and then refreeze, and then thaw, which helps to break down the internal walls) add a bit more flavour (and also with the sterilisation aspects). So I went for frozen, proper, er, Serbian rasps.

There was a lot of juice involved, though, so (ahead of sampling the beer rather than the wort) I'm not sure I'd do it that way again - treating the rasps as you would hops for an aroma steep (i.e. with the wort at below 79C) would still pasteurise them (and not release pectin) and you'd get less of a juice addition and, hopefully, more aroma.

Should also say I'm only brewing 4.5L at a time at the minute.

So I was having a look through the brewdog DIY book last night and shave came across a raspberry cream ale which looks to be similar, or atleast a good place to start. 3kg of raspberries at flameout, thats got to smell good right!?!

Maris Otter 4.533kg
Torrified Wheat 0.567kg
Flaked Oat Malt 0.567kg

Amarillo 50g 0 Aroma
Citra 50g 0 Aroma
Mosiac 50h 0 Aroma
Milk Sugars 500g Flame Out
Raspberry Juice 3000g Flame Out

Amarillo 30g Dry Hop Aroma
Citra 30g Dry Hop Aroma
Mosiac 30g Dry Hop Aroma

It should, given that you can usually reckon on 80-120g rasps/litre - so, 3kg busts it open in typical Brewdog style.

Hop choices look good while having none in the boil packs everything into aroma. Should get a fair bit of biscuit off the wheat, but that takes you back to a wheat beer again. Others are much better placed than me on grain bill construction, but I might be tempted to swap that out for a biscuit malt.

Back