Raspberry stout/porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have grown a lot of raspberries this year and they have filled up the freezer! The missus has requested a stout or porter to be brewed, so I am planning on brewing a raspberry one. I've searched the net and have a few ideas on recipes but wondered what others have done in the past and what success people had.

I am open to chocolate raspberry recipes or milk stout. I'm not wanting it to just taste of raspberries but be a stout/porter with more of a hint of raspberry.

Happy to hear people's thoughts

Cheers

Raspberries are killer in a stout, but just remember they're quite tart. I would brew a chocolate milk stout for some sweetness to balance it, then re-ferment it on the raspberries. Go with 4ish kilos in a 20L batch and you'll be golden. Use a hop bag/nylon bag or similar to prevent the fruit clogging up your taps and pipes. Let it sit on the raspberries for a month or so.

Thank you for the info. I was watching a Dr Hans YouTube video (not saying he's amazing or should necessarily be listened to!), he did a raspberry stout with 1kg raspberries at flame out. He said it had too much raspberry flavour and he'd only use 500g if he did it again. Why doesn't 4kg post fermentation give too strong a raspberry flavour?
Thanks

Cooking alters the flavours quite significantly. I suspect the instructions to add at flameout is to sterilise them but they'll inevitably be cooked somewhat.

I would also expect if they undergo primary fermentation that some flavour will be reduced or changed to some degree

I recently went on a blackberry haul and added 100g/L in the secondary. I have a Stout, Saison and a wheat beer all with blackberry and they came out superb. Didn't sterilise, just rinsed and froze and added them frozen.

Cooking alters the flavours quite significantly. I suspect the instructions to add at flameout is to sterilise them but they'll inevitably be cooked somewhat.

I would also expect if they undergo primary fermentation that some flavour will be reduced or changed to some degree

I recently went on a blackberry haul and added 100g/L in the secondary. I have a Stout, Saison and a wheat beer all with blackberry and they came out superb. Didn't sterilise, just rinsed and froze and added them frozen.
Absolutely agree with this all. And I don't think 100g/L is overkill at all. It seriously depends on the fruit. Some have a more pungent flavour than others.

Latest posts

Back