Raspberry TC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JebKerman

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Looking for advice on a raspberry TC.

I have seen a lot of people recommending the Lowicz syrups, but I wanted to try a fresh raspberry brew.

Anyone who has done this before, is there a need to filter before bottling, or are the berries left with the yeast sediment?

Also, is there a need to add extra sugar when using raspberries.

Previous brews have all been done with Lidl apple juice, 200g sugar, 1/2 pint of strong black tea and Lalvin Champagne yeast.

Currently brewing 2 DJ of the above

Last edited:
I don't do much cider but have used Lowicz syrups and others before with sparkling wine yeast.
Have done a raspberry wheat beer with frozen raspberries. Would think that just apple juice and raspberries will make a rather 'tart' cider,they certainly did that to the beer,although it wasn't nasty in any way.My guess is that you would need to add some sugar or back sweeten it and perhaps use cider yeast.

I usually add a bit of extra sugar to prime the bottles, but may add a wee bit extra on the raspberry one

i wouldn't add at the priming stage or you will just make it more fizzy.

By back sweeting, Chub is meaning use something like canderel and pop it in once poured so you can adjust to your own taste.

Cheers... I wouldn't have known that.

Me either until someone on the forum told me, just passing on the knowledge!:thumb:

Start of with say half a teaspoon and add until you get it to your taste.

If you want the fresh raspberry hit that you get with commercial products, you have two basic options: You can brew a well carbonated cider and add syrup as you pour or you can brew, stabilise, add syrup and keg.
Brewing is going to strip out most of the fruit flavours whether your starting point is fruit or syrup.

i used fresh raspberries before and the outcome was way too tart. I had to add a bit of syrup to the glass when pouring to sweeten. if i did it again i would just use the syrup in the cider instead of fresh raspberries.

Latest posts

Back