Rather pleased with this...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Landlord.
Reaction score
As some of you may know i'm a semi-pro photographer and just breaking into the difficult world of photography. Photography is 99% sitting around waiting for the right light etc. Or being in the right place at the right time. It takes a fraction of a second to capture an image. The planning and travelling and nonsense is a bit frustrating at times-like today when i had my kit set up for two hours to try to capture the sunset over Waipoua Forest. All was looking very promising. I fired off a few frames to make sure i was in the right ball park with my exposure. Then the clouds came rolling in just as the sun was setting and it went dark in about 2 mins. Completely ruining the potentially great shot i had planned. :evil: This was at the end of 3 days out in the field, in a location that takes hours to walk to and is 250km's away from my house. I was bloody livid. Not to mention soaked through and without a decent night's sleep in days or a wash. My food supplies had gone and i had about 200ml of fresh water left. To top it all off the 'emergency' petrol station i planned to use had run out of fuel when i got there and i had to drive at 50k's an hour conserving fuel as best as i could to make it to the next fuel station. With no mobile phone reception i was ****** that i might have to walk miles to get fuel and then back again with a fuel can. Not a happy camper. :evil: :evil: :evil:

But. I downloaded all my images tonight and was rewarded with a beautiful shot of a New Zealand fur seal. I don't review my images in the field due to the pathetic duration i get from my laptop battery. I need all the power to download from my flash card to the laptop to free up my cards. I have 16GB of flash cards but that gets used up fairly quickly when your in the field.
I've processed the image and came up with this. I've removed the colour from the background as the mosses and rocks weren't on par with the seal or his expression-which i want to highlight. I'm a happy boy as this is exactly what my client wanted and i think i'll be able to sell this image over and over. I fired off 16 frames of this seal. This is the only one when he was looking straight at me and what a snooty posture! He's a young male and will lose the beautiful mane of hair a bit as he matures. I'll replace this image with a copyrighted one in a few days time. Viewed at full size it's absolutely pin sharp and his oily, wet coat and flippers almost reflect the rocks in places.

2773793667_909470213f.jpg

What do you think?

MEB said:
As some of you may know i'm a semi-pro photographer and just breaking into the difficult world of photography.

What do you think?

Nice one MEB. I can smell it from here :)

MEB said:

What do you think?

:hmm: Its too small and central in the frame, placing the head on the left third would have made it better. The processing appears to have carried over onto the lower back of the seal, The grey background and bleaching of the moss/seaweed has made the whole thing too light overall, and the white is distracting from the seal.

Overall not a bad snap ;) And no I couldn't do better, natural history is not a subject I do well, but I am more than well aware of what is required.

I love the seal but i'm with Aleman on the back ground. It is a smashing image, i hope your client likes it ;)

Aleman said:
MEB said:

What do you think?

:hmm: Its too small and central in the frame, placing the head on the left third would have made it better. The processing appears to have carried over onto the lower back of the seal, The grey background and bleaching of the moss/seaweed has made the whole thing too light overall, and the white is distracting from the seal.

Overall not a bad snap ;) And no I couldn't do better, natural history is not a subject I do well, but I am more than well aware of what is required.

Excellent comments Aleman. Thank you.
The lower back of the seal is exactly like that-taken at midday the sun was high and i'll dodge that area a little. The image hasn't been cropped yet-This was taken with my 500mm lens from a boat, therefore handheld and is the full frame. The background i can work on more-in colour it's a horrible washed out browney grey and the white bleached mosses are even more distracting. I simply converted the entire image to greyscale(no adjustments) and then added the seal as a layer in colour. Once i've had time to process the image fully i'll post it again. I'll probably play with this a dozen times before i get it right.

As your comments are very good can i get you to critique another image?

This was taken on my honeymoon. Not adjusted in any way-not even cropped. All thats been done is light sharpening. :D

2773870625_650bff9689.jpg

MEB you obviously have a talent there :clap:

J_P didn't you say that you'd eat a seal, or was that a Panda :hmm: :whistle:

MEB said:

This was taken on my honeymoon. Not adjusted in any way-not even cropped. All thats been done is light sharpening. :D

This I love straight away, first thoughts were that it would be so much better as a silhouette, and although you have a great lead in from the path track to the figure and into the background . . it is too light and could be with being darkened. . . On second thought though loosing practically the bottom half really tightens things up. I've cropped it, added a duplicate layer in multiply mode, A reveal All layer mask, then darkened the path, and slightly revealed the rest to increase the saturation. Giving me this

MEB01V2.jpg

The dark land anchors the picture, the lead in takes the eyes through the image (Although I did think of flipping it, so that it scans left to right), and then up into those clouds . . . hope you don't mind the liberty of modding it

Probably both...if they're cute enough :lol:
God help him when he has kids and someone walks up to the pram and says...."ahhh isn't he/she cute" :lol:

Wez said:

I'd try either if given the opportunity the cuter an animal is the better it tastes, baby Panda must be ace :lol:

I did once eat a "bambi burger" but was slightly dissapointed when I lifted the bun and discovered that there weren't a pair of sad eyes looking out at me!

J_P said:
Wez said:

I'd try either if given the opportunity the cuter an animal is the better it tastes, baby Panda must be ace :lol: The obvious exception to this rule is the lobster.

I did once eat a "bambi burger" but was slightly dissapointed when I lifted the bun and discovered that there weren't a pair of sad eyes looking out at me!

Aleman said:
MEB said:

This I love straight away, first thoughts were that it would be so much better as a silhouette, and although you have a great lead in from the path track to the figure and into the background . . it is too light and could be with being darkened. . . On second thought though loosing practically the bottom half really tightens things up. I've cropped it, added a duplicate layer in multiply mode, A reveal All layer mask, then darkened the path, and slightly revealed the rest to increase the saturation. Giving me this

MEB01V2.jpg

The dark land anchors the picture, the lead in takes the eyes through the image (Although I did think of flipping it, so that it scans left to right), and then up into those clouds . . . hope you don't mind the liberty of modding it

Nice work A. :party:
I have been thinking about using this image as my header for my photography site. I really like the way it captures everything in the frame-a beatuful dusk, fishing for trout with fly on Rotorua and the peace and tranquilty that is there.
If i had thought about it at the time i might have tried an HDR image-i think i thought about it but the fisherman kept moving slightly so i couldn't get an HDR to work.

Photography is all about being in the right place at the right time and i guess i was in the right place at the right time here.

I'm gonna have a play with this image once i have some time.

Thanks for your input Aleman. It's really appreciated. :cool:

Frisp said:
If the man can do that with a camera what wonders can he perform with a simple bucket and some Malt..... :mrgreen:

I only dream about being as good at brewing as i am with photography. :roll:

But i might be the best brewer ever-you'll have to wait till i send my brews over...

Vossy1 said:
Whatever you decide to do with that picture MEB...it's stunning ;)
What camera are you using?

Nikon D200. Was quite state of the art a few years ago but is now 'old'.

I'm pleased you like the image. :D

I've loved the pics that i've seen here and this weekend whilst visting our friends I got to have a go with his SLR and was very impressed.

I came to the conclusion that having two children I'll be able to get lots of use out of a digital SLR so the Wez wallet was opened and I've bought a Canon EOS 450D, it came with the 18-55mm lens but I also got the 70-300mm lens. I've been out a bit today taking some pics maybe I'll post some as I get a bit better. :D

MEB, just came across this, the pics. are f*****g stunning. I love to see photo's of wild animals and can't imagine the time, patience and skill to take this quality of shot.

I'm no photographer, but I think you've spurred a few, including me to take this up.

I'm taking early retirement in about 18 months time and along with other things we intend to do like motorhome touring thinks I may have a go. Might ask for digi. slr as leaving gift if they'll stretch that far.

Keep at it my friend, one day you'll be famous.

Please can we see some more. :clap: :clap: :clap:

jb.

jonnybeer said:
and can't imagine the time, patience and skill to take this quality of shot.

Yeah I can't remember who said it but it sums things up. Upon being complimented on an excellent wildlife photograph finishing with the remark, "You were So Lucky to get that!" the photographer replied "Yes, and the more often I go out and take photographs the luckier I get" ;)

Can I just say that my comments were meant to be constructive (And MEB has taken them that way). My photography tends towards studio and still life work (I prefer subjects that can't fly, run, walk, ooze away) but from the little I have done I can appreciate the hard work that goes into it.

This is a Griffon Vulture I was 'lucky' to get a couple of years ago (I only spent 2 hours sat in the midday sun waiting for it) . . . The Steppe Eagle was just too fast to capture with the kit I had.

GriffonVulture_EPZ.jpg

I don't 'get' landscapes either, I mean they are pretty but :wha:

Latest posts

Back