Raw Wheat Conversion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18729

Flat out like a lizard drinking
Reaction score
Good evening all,

Long story short I've just tucked away an American Wheat in the beer fridge. My other half's family (can't reveal too much) can get me sacks of raw durum wheat due to their profession clapaSo today I added 2kg to the mash crushed to 0.8mm and I didn't convert anything with a sing infusion mash at 65 for an hour.

So my question is, has anyone any experience with using raw wheat for a wit and is there an easy way to extract/convert some sugars from it? I've seen online you can boil it to gelatinise the grain or even bake it to make it torrified. I'd like to avoid complicated mash schedules for a while until I've built my control panel (been furloughed so no pennies available at the moment :coat:).

Worst case I'll use it for mouthfeel and the haze it produces and just increase the amount of malted barley to compensate.

Thanks in advance,

Hopsteep:beer1:

If it's mashed with barley malt then it should in theory still convert. How do you know it didn't? A cereal mash would almost certainly help with conversion if you can be bothered doing it.

If it's mashed with barley malt then it should in theory still convert. How do you know it didn't? A cereal mash would almost certainly help with conversion if you can be bothered doing it.
Well I’ve been suffering with poor efficiency lately and at first I assumed it was that. But after playing with everything on beersmith and setting my recent rubbish efficiency today’s brew was miles off. I then set the yield of the raw wheat to zero and beersmith gave me the achieved OG. So I’m fairly certain that I didn’t convert the wheat. If I did convert it then my brewhouse efficiency was about 50% :confused.:

My initial assumption would be it'd convert but a quick look at the American forums seem to suggest a cereal mash is needed I'm afraid.

A cereal mash is pretty simple to do if you have a spare large pan.

Add your wheat and 10% malted barley to water to make a thin gruel. Heat this to 65°c for 5-10 minutes, then boil for 20-30 minutes. Once done, mash this and the rest of your grain bill together, as normal.

Last edited:
It was a bit of a user upper recipe.

3400 Malted Barley
1kg Malted Wheat
2kg Raw Wheat
50g Crystal
100g carapils

A cereal mash is pretty simple to do if you have a spare large pan.

Add your wheat and 10% malted barley to water to make a thin gruel. Heat this to 65°c for 5-10 minutes, then boil for 20-30 minutes. Once done, mash this and the rest of your grain bill together, as normal.
Ah okay, would you still be aiming for a 65/66 mash temp when adding the cereal mash to the main grain bill?

Back